We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Colorado road conditions

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Current Colorado road conditions

Hi all,

We arrive in Denver on Friday from the UK and were hoping to drive from Denver to Ouray (via Gunnison) on Saturday. But I've been looking at the Colorado Road Department website and it looks like some pretty heavy weather up there - including on the I 70.

Can anyone give a view as to the ease with which we are likely to be able to follow our proposed route (in a rental car) this weekend? Would we need chains?

We'll keep an eye on the weather conditions before we leave UK but without access to local TV and radio its really hard to get a good idea of what the website descriptions really mean.

Many thanks

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

chains on a rental are not permitted. roads will be cleared quickly. drive slow and enjoy the scenery.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

Spring snow tends to disappear quickly. I woke up to icy roads at 6 am and by 9am they were clear and dry.

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

Thanks both - really helpful.

Julie

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

It's a gorgeous sunny day today so that should help clear up the roads and dry them from the last couple of days of rain and snow. Check the road reports before you leave Denver, but I think you'll be just fine.

www.cotrip.org

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

There's supposed to be another storm front on Friday, moving through on Saturday with a winter weather advisory for the central mountains. However, it looks like Hwy 50 is on the south end of the advisory area and they don't include Gunnison. Monarch Pass might get some snow but it looks less likely that way than Interstate 70, esp. by the time you're coming through on Saturday.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/

Were you going to take 285 from Denver?

Edited: 28 April 2011, 23:05
6. Re: Current Colorado road conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:17