We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frisco or Breckenridge?

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Frisco or Breckenridge?

I have been planning a trip to Frisco, Colorado with my husband and our 6 year old daughter for the last week in July.

I have received wonderful information from people on trip advisor about Frisco. I am not familiar with this part of Colorado and am seeking advice as to whether Frisco or Breckenridge is the better town for a family vacation?

We enjoy hiking, biking, walking around town, eating out & some shopping. My daughter is hoping to visit a ghost town or two and my husband loves to rent a jeep to take on 4X4 trails.

I am trying to be sure there is something for everyone, but mainly looking for a very family friendly town!

Our other summer trips to Colorado have been to Durango and to Ouray.

Any advice on summit county is greatly appreciated!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

Breck is a little bigger than Frisco and has a longer Main St. It also has the gondola and ski lifts operating that would be fun to ride up and either come back down or hike back down.

Frisco is close to the lake and all the fun items that come with that.

Either way, Breck & Frisco are only 9 miles apart so easy to get to both.

Ghost towns- check out Buena Vista- St. Elmo (about an hour or so south of Breck).

Shopping- outlet stores in Silverthorne.

Can't go wrong with either town really. County itself is family friendly.

Silverthorne & Breckenridge have large Recreation Centers with pools, kids pool... if you are looking for an indoor activity for your daughter. Silverthorne has the better kids pool + it is has a less expensive day pass.

Matt

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

Have you checked out this list of activities? tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21445-Summit_C…

You can not go wrong with either town. Many people love Frisco because it is a smaller mountain town and there seems to be more locals than tourists. There are tons of summer activities as well, check out... www.TownOfFrisco.com

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

Thank you both so much! 1FourFun, your list of activities and dining for Frisco & summit county are incredible!

matteilers, thanks for the info on lodging recommendations in Frisco.

Has anyone heard of The Woodbridge Inn? My husband found a condo there that looks nice, but I can't really find any info on the complex. The description of the condo claims it's on the quiet end of Main Street & faces Mt. Royal.

I'm trying to see if there is availability at Ten Mile Island.

Thanks again for the input!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

The Woodbridge is at the western end of Main St.

The "quiet" end of Main St. refers to the fact that the majority of shops start at the eastern end of Main st and go down about 2/3 of Main st and then start to peter out as you close in on the far western end of Main st.

Woodbridge does sit somewhat close to the I-70 so it does not necessarily insure a quiet noise experience. I would not recommend one that sits in the bldg with the decks facing the I-70 if you are looking for quiet solitude.

The ones facing Mt. Royal are ok and pick up some but overall minimal noise. Rooms are generally spacious with 2 bdrms being about ~900 sq.ft. and there is a free shuttle stop just outside. The bike path runs just behind Woodbridge, so easy access for walkiing or riding bikes.

Amenities: hot tub (indoor),

Overall, Woodbridge is a decent complex with nice extras (like the bus stop, probably more in play in the winter when going up to Copper), bike path.

A comfortable place but I would still personally prefer a few other places in the summer if available.

Cross Creek if on the river

Ten Mile Island if on the river

MountainSide- depending on Bldg # due to possible construction

Lagoon- very quiet complex, nice amenities but not within a short walking distance to Main St.

Marina Park-

Some other smaller complexes would also be in the mix as listed before.

Matt

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

The eastern end of the street does not get sun as long/much as the western end because it is in the shadow of Mt. Royal. For summertime, I would go with Matt's other recommendations.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

Thank you guys so much! I would be very disappointed to get to my summer mountain retreat, only to find I would be drinking my morning to the humming of cars on a freeway! I can get that every morning here in Dallas!

I think we may go with Ten Mile Island. Again, thank you so very much!

7. Re: Frisco or Breckenridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 16:18