We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

I have most of my road trip trip planned, except for one segment, and hoping someone can suggest a stopover. We are traveling along RT70 after a sleepover in Frisco, and defiantly want to stop at Colorado NM. The most obvious stop is Glenwood Springs (between spa, pool, and Adventure park), but I cannot interest the wife in it!

Any other suggestions?

My other option is to RT9 and RT50 to Montrose hitting Canyon of the Black G and a few mining sites around Leadville and Fairplay, but prefer to go to Colorado NM, and can do the Canyon on a different day from Ouray.

Thanks!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Glenwood is a wonderful little town, nice shops, restaurants, pretty location. Is there something specific your wife likes/wants to do so we can suggest something you both may like.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Depending on what time of year you are going - maybe a stop at Palisade during Peach season, or at one of the many vineyards over there.

Also Vail is a nice stopover to see the village.

Glenwood really is the perfect half way point - there are a couple pullovers along the river and the town is worth a look around.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Is rafting in Glenwood Springs out of the question? You and your daughter would love it! It is not all white water. Tell wife to think gondola in Venice (not quite). http://www.coloradowhitewaterrafting.com

The half day trip is 3 hours. They have dressing rooms and showers. They stop midway the trip at a rest area along the river for lemonade and cookies and for a bathroom break. They will divide your group into those wanting wet and wild vs. mild. It is great family fun and great scenery. You wear life jackets. They can even accommodate folks with disabilities. Last year my small for her age and a little timid 7 year old great niece did this for the first time. She loved it and even asked to sit in the front of the raft on the way back!

Edited: 11 July 2011, 17:44
Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Slightly off the beaten path, you might try Redstone... You get off in Glenwood and head towards Carbondale where you head up into the hills again... it would be about 25 miles away from I-70 but maybe you will both win...

http://redstonecolorado.com

Super cute little town, very scenic, along a pretty river...

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
316 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

I think it is going to be Glenwood unless I see something else. Tried to interest the wife in a spa day, but for some reason declined. Maybe I will push her into a hot spring when she is not looking and wait for the smile to come!

1FourFun, we leave in a week so will miss any festival, but will definitely stop at Palisade for fruit.

fv1989, rafting is one thing I cannot interest her in, and I sooooo want to do. My 11yo daughter (thanks for remembering) is a thrill seeker, and would love it as well. Methinks she is afraid of it; funny, since she has no problem putting me at the wheel a 4x4 off roading in spite of my minivan driving skills.

Thanks, folks!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

Glenwood Caverns are pretty amazing, and a cool place to be on a hot day, hopefully you get to enjoy them. We've been having some afternoon thunderstorms lately, so you may want to plan your pool time for morning or evening depending on the weather.

We had a great lunch at the Pullman last month: http://www.thepullmangws.com/home.htm

7. Re: suggest stopover between Frisco and Grand Junction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:17