We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

I will be driving from Western Kansas Oct 2 and have a flight out of DEN at noon on Oct 4. Would like to spend a day in the mountains. Have a place I could stay in Steamboat but wonder if that would be too far from the airport? Would somewhere else be more reasonable? Thought of Vail or Estes Park. May want to do a short hike or just walk through a quaint town. Thanks!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

With such a short time, I'd choose Estes Park and hike in Rocky Mountain National Park. Vail or Breckenridge would be good choices, too.

Plymouth, MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

Steamboat Springs is an awesome town, but you'd need roughly 3 hours to get to airport (not including construction or traffic). You should go back when you have more time!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

I second the Estes Park and RMNP idea. Early October is still elk rut and fall foliage (lower elevations with no early snow storm) time. There are plenty of great short walks and hikes and Trail Ridge Road should be open with fabulous views.

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

My husband and I will be travelling by car from Fort Collins to San Diego over two weeks in early October. We will start the trip with a visit to Rocky Mtn NP and leave Colorado through Monument Valley to Grand Canyon. We are retired and want to see dramatic scenery, do a little hiking and stay in interesting places. Could someone please recommend a suitable route through Colorado.

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

Sorry that should have been a separate post.

6. Re: Where should I go for a couple of nights in early Oct?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:20