We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

Lake Worth, FL
Level Contributor
243 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

We've been skiing Spring Break at Deer Valley in Utah but decided to try Colorado. However, the Colorado mountains seem to be a bit higher and I'm worried about altitude sickness although we've never had an issue with it before.

Also, I can't decide between resorts. We are a family of 6, 2 adults 4 kids. Beginner Intermediate skiers. We are looking for a resort with short lift lines and pretty scenery. We've looked at Steamboat, Beaver Creek, Vail and Crested Butte.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

I have never found the differences in altitude between Colorado skiing and skiing elsewhere in the Rockies to be significant, except at Arapaho Basin. Altitude sickness is sort of strange and unpredictable, sometimes coming on when you wouldn't expect it. The best bet is to always be alert to its onset, exercise in moderation (whatever moderation is for you) and above all stay hydrated.

Short lift lines could be a challenge. I also like short lift lines. I don't try to pick an area to ski at based on that, but I do choose which part of a mountain to ski based on that. At most of the large ski areas there are crowded parts and there are really crowded parts ... and occasionally a slightly less crowded part. Don't give yourself brain damage trying to pick an area that won't be crowded. Pick your ski area based on the activities you enjoy -- all Colorado areas have great snow -- and then find the less crowded parts of the mountain when you are there. Enjoy!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

The shortest lift lines in Colorado (nearly nonexistent) are in Telluride. Not sure how that would work with your schedule, budget, etc. You can fly directly into Telluride or a more budget friendly option is to fly to Montrose, CO which is 1.5 hour drive from Telluride. You could then 1) rent a car 2) take the shuttle 3) take Mountain Limo (or similar service). M. Limo will pick you up, deliver you to your hotel, condo, etc and will even stop at the grocery store, etc while in Montrose if you need to pick up supplies.

www.visittelluride.com

www.mountain-village.co.us

www.visitmontrose.com

www.tellurideexpress.com

www.mountain-limo.com

www.tellurideresortlodging.com

www.vrbo.com

Edited: 17 October 2011, 16:48
3. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2011, 21:41
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,965 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

For me the scenery at most of the major ski areas in Colorado are better than Deer Valley. AT DV I feel like I am skiing in a housing development the entire time. My 02. Having Mega houses lining the ski runs gets to me after a while.

As to lines. Vail has these boards with colored lights that tell you which ones to avoid. I find that works well....

I'd look hard at Beaver Creek and Snowmass. Great terrain for the high beginner to Intermediate. Well suited for families with a generous budget.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

Beaver Creek is great for lift lines compared to Vail. The terrain isn't as big, but if you're beginner to intermediate, it will be fine. Crested Butte has very short lift lines as it's not a day trip from Denver. However, the mountain for your abilities is pretty skimpy. I fear you'd get bored there if you're not an advanced skier. Telluride would be another great option as it's too far for a day trip from the major cities in Colorado and is very scenic. Personally, I'd go for Telluride, you have history, a great mountain, great scenery, and you can stalk Kevin Costner.

6. Re: Ski Resort Crisis - Looking for short lift lines & scenery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 19:18