We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

We can get a nice condo for about the same price (rental from timeshare owners -- really a pretty good deal) at these places for the week we need and are interested in which resort area you think would be best for us. We are beginning / intermediate skiers -- comfortable on blue runs at Keystone for example (We were there over Christmas), We won't be going until March of 2013 (non ski vacations already planned for 2012). There are three of us (DH and me -- in our 50s) and DS (16) who really caught the ski bug on our last trip.

Here are my iniial thoughts, but I'd love to hear from others who are more familar with these places than I am and hear your opinion. I really have very little to go on, and my thoughts could be way off base.

Winter Park: Pro for me is that it would be a new place for us // only did one day trip here that I don't remember and that was about 22 years ago. Am thinking there would be plenty of great intermediate terrain.// Am thinking though Breckenridge is probably a nicer ski town.

Breckenridge: I'm leaning toward this, as I know there is plenty of good intermediate terrain and I love the town of Breckenridge -- think it's a charming place / like the resturant choices and ambience.

Vail: Maybe a good choice for more expert skiers // Although our condo would be about the same prices as where we would stay in Winter Park or Breckenridge, I'm wondering if food would be more expensive here? Only skiied here once before and although it was fine for me as an intermediate skier, I think I liked summit county more, but that again was over 20 years ago. // And we seem to have a probably unjustified bias against Vail as being pretentious and overrated??

Which would you pick for us to try?

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
375 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
604 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
128 Reviews
from US$476.99*
US$499.00
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

Vail is going to be a lot more $$$ costly than WP. All the way around. I know you have gotten used to Keystone and I think you will find that it is easier to get around Keysotne than Vail unless your staying at Lionshead or the Village, again that will be $$$$.

I like WP a lot. I much prefer the skiing there to Breck but like the town of Breck better than the town of WP. Guess it all depends on what is most important. I have found lodging to be very affordable at WP and discounted lift tickets are easier to come by.

The one thing about WP that I do not like is the train. We usually try to stay at Hi Country Haus which is older but further from the train tracks and an easy walk to the Main Street,( and some allow dogs ) though someone used to staying at the Ranch probably would not like it much. Anyway if you decide on WP ask how far/close to the train tracks the housing is.

My .02

Edited: 17 January 2012, 16:31
Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
The Village Hotel
The Village Hotel
251 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Breck Inn
Breck Inn
325 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Main Street
Main Street
1,573 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

I don't know Winterpark, so I will concentrate on Breckenridge vs Vail. Vail is just more difficult. You walk further from the buses to the lift area, the green slopes are like Breckenridge blues, and the cost is, of course, higher for everything. I had to take the bus to go to a grocery store, and the entire outing took at least 2-3 hours. (Of course, it depends on your location. We only ate out for breakfast on one day in Vail, so I can't say much about restaurant prices.

We had to walk with our equipment from the ski school sales office to the slope, a "10-minute walk". You can guess how long it took us (twice that long??) and how fresh we felt when we got to the practice slope.

In Breckenridge, I could walk to the lift area or to the grocery store, though I chose to take the bus back with my bags. Nice French bakery for snacks and breakfast, lots of other choices for meals. Just a beautiful, compact town. Everything is more spread out in Vail.

As beginners (after only 3 years of ski vacations), we found Vail to be just too advanced and scary. Super-fast skiers on difficult green slopes. I turned in my ski equipment after a day of ski school and one half day at the practice slope.

So, to me, the choice is between Breck and Winter Park.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Breck Inn
Breck Inn
325 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

Thank you for your thoughts / helps me rule out Vail. Sounds like either Winter Park or Breckenridge would be great. I think we'd love either one. We'll look at condo locations, trail maps etc. // see location of condos to train / other ammenities. Too hard to decide -- You have me really intrigued about Winter Park and we already know we like Breckenridge (nice to hear you both think of it as a good ski town choice too) -- think I'll have DH make the final decision.

Skied in Missouri yesterday (Hidden Valley in the St. Louis area) -- big mistake after just being in Colorado -- We're not great skiers or anything like that, but boy does Colorado spoil you for anything in the midwest.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,444 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

I skied at Hidden Valley, once out of sheer curiosity. I wanted to ski at NebraSki too but sadly it closed before I ever got the chance.

texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

We are thinking of doing a time share at Indian peaks in Fraser. Anyone hear anything good or otherwise about this place?

Mentioned in this post
Fraser
Fraser
Grand County, CO
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

To me Winter Park really isn't a "ski town". Many like the slopes but as for everything else it's minimal. I would choose Breckenridge -- more to do, easier access to other ski areas and lots of decent restaurants without the Vail price tag. If you had Steamboat on your list I might suggest that location but since you don't I suggest going to Breckenridge.

Mentioned in this post
texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

we were looking at a place in steamboat also. Thanks for this advice.

Like your dog picture. He/she is a cutie.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 14:00
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

Oh I love Steamboat Springs. It's not on our list (can get freebie flights with milage point to Denver< but not to Steamboat and don't want to do that long a drive). But boy is it a terriffic place.

Mentioned in this post
Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

I have been to all three and love each, but all are quite different, so it truly depends on your personality, ski adventure level, and taste for the apres ski scene. For the record, I am one who skiis mainly blues, enjoys greens for fun (if they aren't crowded), and enjoys an easy black for a challenge after I'm warmed up. My husband won't try anything above green, so it is quite the challenge finding the perfect place for both of us.

My husband's favorites are WP and Breck; his best lesson was at WP. We both love Breck's town with the restaurant choices and shops. WP has great skiing, but the extensive bus ride to town for basics was a pain (we stayed in condos and buy food for our kitchens).

Now, my choices are totally different. I LOVE VAIL! The town and its transportation system are awesome; skiing is the best, and I found everything to be quite convenient. I took the tours across the mountain, which were all a great way to see everything. The back bowls are just plain fun. Breck and WP are great, too, and I love finding my way all across the mountains there, but I would inevitably find a flat area that required a lot of poling...not my favorite thing to do.

You cannot go wrong with any of the mountains. All are family friendly; with Vail, everything and more is right near the slopes; with Breck, there's lots of stuff nearby, with WP, the skiing is great, but you do have to travel if you want anything.

If you want a great adventure with great night life, choose Vail.

If you want family area, with great adventure, choose Breck.

If you want family area, good ski school, and lots of green runs, choose WP.

If anyone has questions, feel free to send them my way. As I said, I love all three of the areas - it just depends on what you want for the vacation you are planning.

Mentioned in this post
Breck Inn
Breck Inn
325 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
10. Re: Winter Park, Breckenridge, or Vail for March 2013 ski trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 18:16