We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

this is kinda what we would like tto do

looking at flying into montrose

2 nights in black canyon/ telluride/ooray area

2 nights in durango mesa verde area

2 nights in moab utah area.

in black canyon hiking, how is the canyon boat tour? is there a central spot for the 1st 2 night to stay or do i need to break them up. would love to horseback ride and raft ride in one of these place, would love recomendation. want the 4x4 ride in moab. moab- what tours do you recomend. would love to hear about hotels everwhere.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

Black Canyon and Telluride are about 1hr 45 min apart or possibly slightly more. In Montrose you will find your basic Holiday Inn, etc and there is not really great scenery.Montorse is not in the mountains, but at the foot of them. Personally, I would spend one night in Telluride and one in Ouray. However, if the logistics of that don't work for you, spend one of them in Montrose.

Horseback riding in Telluride

www.ridewithroudy.com

Roudy is quite the character and I have ridden with him several times, always fun.

Other tours, activities, etc

www.telluridetours.com

www.sanmiguelanglers.com

www.tellurideoutside.com

OK
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

If by 'boat tour' you mean the Morrow Point Boat Tour in the Curecanti National Recreation Area, my husband and I enjoyed it very much. The scenery was beautiful and the ranger on board was very informative. I would definitely recommend the tour.

www.nps.gov/cure/planyourvisit/boattour.htm

Be aware that there are quite a number of steps (232) from the parking lot down to the boat launch area. Not so bad going down but it can be quite a hike coming back up. :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

Last summer during our Colorado Springs-Ouray-Breckinridge trip we stayed at a small condo (VRBO 210239) with our two kids in Ouray. It's right on Main St next to a park and the hot springs pool. During our stay there we rented a jeep from Colorado West Jeep Rentals (nice guys to work with) and drove the 4x4 trails. This was THE highlight of our trip; it was incredible. If you choose to stay in Ouray, wait until you see it. It's a small town in a box canyon and it's absolutely gorgeous. I'd been there before but it was my husband's first time last summer and I cannot tell you how many times he said "I can't believe how gorgeous this place is".

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

When are you coming? So would your trip be 6 nights plus arrival and departure? Or 6 nights total? How many in your party? Can you give us an idea of what kind of accomodations you usually prefer?

Do you know what time your flight might arrive and depart? You'd probably have time to see the south rim drive of the Black Canyon (with short walks to overlooks and maybe one of the easier hiking trails, perhaps Warner Point trail) on your arrival day. Be sure to drive down the East Portal road to the river. If your arrival is early in the day, you could do this and then drive to Ouray later in the afternoon. The drive from Montrose to Ouray needs to be done in the daylight both for the beauty of the views and also because of deer along the road. Chances for hitting a deer increase toward dusk. So, if your arrival is in the afternoon, definitely see the Black Canyon and stay in Montrose. If your arrival is in the morning, you could see the Black Canyon and then head for Ouray that afternoon.

If you don't have small children with you and you are good hikers, you could consider a Gunnison Gorge raft trip. For example, the Rigs 1Day Gunnison Gorge wilderness raft trip: adventurecentral.com/user/web/wfResults.aspx…

Gunnison River Expeditions offers the same trip.

gunnisonriverexpeditions.com/more-options/gu…

Or, you might consider doing your raft trip in Moab (a better activity for the heat of the day in Moab in the summer than a jeep trip, IMO) and your jeep tour in Ouray or Telluride to get higher into the mountains for the awesome scenery.

You could also consider doing your trip in reverse, visiting the Black Canyon then heading to Moab, so that you could stay your last night in Ouray and then drive to Montrose for departure.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 17:19
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

I meant to address the boat tour. With the time you have and the places you are going, I think you should skip the boat tour. It is a great tour on the calm water of the Morrow Point Reservoir, but it is in the Curecanti National Recreation Area-- the area of the canyon where it takes place is flooded by a dam so you aren't seeing the depths of the canyon you see at the National Park, where you'll see the highest cliff in Colorado, deeper than the Empire State Building is tall. It is also a 35 mile drive east of Montrose, plus the walk time to get to & from the dock, plus the hour and a half tour. So it will take a good part of one of your days which I just think would be better spent elsewhere. If you had an extra day, I'd still say your time would be better spent with an extra day in Telluride or Ouray, or taking the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge train ride, which it doesn't look like you currently have the time for, either.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

because its significantly cheaper we will be flying into durango, 3 nights there(we fly in late fri night), then 2 nights in moabs then onto black canyon- telluride, ourY FOR 3 NIGHTS.

? about durango silverton trainride, what is there to do in silverton?

?how fast do the tickets for tours at mesda verde sell out, to bad they cant be bought before hand.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

Silverton is a small mountain with great scenery. Lots of little shops and restaurants. If you ride the train round trip from Durango - you have about 2 hours or so in Silverton to have lunch and shop around a bit. Many people take the train one way and take the bus/shuttle back.

www.SilvertonColorado.com

Edited: 08 February 2012, 23:22
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

For great use of time, I recommend you take the train/jeep tour combo so you can see more of the mountains and get out to Animas Forks ghost town.

It's hard to say how quickly the ranger tours book up, as it depends on the amount of visitors that particular day. You can get tickets up to two days in advance, but that would involve an extra trip out to the Park or to the Colorado Welcome Center in Cortez. If you were going to stay at Far View Lodge in the Park, you could get tickets the evening before at the Morefield Ranger Station if the Far View Visitor Center was closed. In your case, just to give you an idea of some options-- you could do the train ride on Saturday, then drive out to the park, get your tickets, get oriented, attend a ranger campfire talk, then plan your Sunday according to your tour time. If you didn't want to spend Sunday night in the park, you could spend Sunday night in Cortez, then head for Moab first thing Monday. Or sometimes people will spend an evening and the next day till mid afternoon at Mesa Verde, then head out for the next destination.

After Moab, for the best scenery IMO, drive to LaSal and into Colorado through the Paradox Valley and then on to Telluride for your night there & your horseback "Ride with Roudy." Then to Ridgway (another gorgeous drive over Dallas Divide) and north for a couple of hours at Montrose/Black Canyon most of the afternoon, then back south to Ouray before dusk for two nights. Then a drive over the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and on to Durango for your last night before departure. Don't worry about duplicating the scenery from Silverton to Durango, because you see different scenery on the highway than you do on the train ride.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

"""For great use of time, I recommend you take the train/jeep tour combo so you can see more of the mountains and get out to Animas Forks ghost town""""

where do i find info on train/jeep combo??

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with places to stay, things to do in sw colorado

Look for the "Adventure Packages" tab on the Durango Train website, and the train/jeep combo would be the Trails and Rails package. They don't have the 2012 prices for any of the packages yet. I'm sure any of the packages would be great, and a good use of time, but I just think a jeep tour is one of the area "musts" and so many people want to see a ghost town. Animas Forks has previously been included in the Trails and Rails, to the best of my knowledge, so I think there's a good chance it will be again.

durangotrain.com/packages/adventure-packages

There are also awesome jeep tours from Ouray and Telluride, and other tours originating in Durango. But for those with limited time, I really like this combo tour.