We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

hi can anyone please give me any info on the national parks and canyon trip we are thinking of booking it one person my mum is 74 and in a wheelchair but is dying to do this trip with 2 other members of the family could anyone advise me of the hotel,route, would i manage with a wheelchair and are the coaches comfortable i have been told there is no toilets on the coaches but you have regular pit stops any help would be great before i go ahead and book...............thanks

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Hi, candleshoe. I see you've posted again, as you didn't receive many replies to your previous post. Most of the folks who frequent this forum self tour, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't gotten more information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k51504…

I can comment on the route. It is a very popular itinerary and covers a lot of ground. If you were self-touring, most of us would advise about three weeks for this route, including at least two to four full days at Yellowstone National Park. On this tour, it looks to me like you will be just driving through with very brief stops to see Yellowstone Falls, Old Faithful and one thermal feature. Rather than spend an extra day in Yellowstone, you will spend a full day in Jackson while some of the party takes a raft trip on the Snake River, which I imagine your mom will not be able to do. On the other hand, this itinerary gives you a great sample of a lot, and since you aren't having to do the driving, is doable.

I also looked briefly at the hotels. I'm not familiar with all of them, of course, but they look like reputable hotels. All of them should have handicap accessible rooms, but whether Archer Direct will be able to guarantee a handicap room for your mom is something you will have to ask them. Some of these hotels/motels will likely have stairs and no elevator to second floor rooms. All the hotels are listed, so you can look them up individually on the Internet and/or here on Trip Advisor to find out more about them.

In years of traveling with my elderly mom, I found I should always contact the hotel directly to find out if they a)had an elevator or b) would guarantee us a ground floor room. My mother could walk some, such as to restroom facilities or into a restaurant, but could not manage more than three or four steps and used a wheelchair for sightseeing.

Have you contacted Archer Direct with your questions about how you might manage with the wheelchair? How will she get up the steps into the motorcoach? Is she able to walk some or is she completely wheelchair bound? What provisions, if any, does Archers Direct have for customers with disabilities?

What the website says about restrooms and breaks is that they find it is better not to use the facilities on the bus, even if & when they are available, and that they plan stops at least every two to three hours.

As to the comfort of the tour bus, I think that most people who take tours are happy with the comfort of the seats. The last time I was on a tour bus (in Alaska a few years ago) the seats were quite comfortable.

There was a previous thread about Archer Direct, and we added it to a Top Question in the column to the right. There was a reply on that thread by someone who took the tour, so I'd suggest you send him/her a direct message. You can do that by clicking on the name under the avatar. If you need help in how to send a direct message, let us know.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k40441…

wirral
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

thank you so much for your reply you have been more help than archer direct they were implying that it was not suitable for a wheelchair user they havent been able to give me the hotels in use as they say they are subject to change and quite a lot of negivtive feedback as if a disabled person would be a hinder to the tour but thanks again miss p westslope for your help as my brother is cowboy mad and its for his 50th birthday i think we are going to go for it if they will let us book it for a wheelchair user ................candleshoe

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Candleshoe, if Archer Direct is giving you negative vibes about the wheelchair, please think twice about booking this and consider a self tour. There's lots of help available here on Trip Advisor, and you could use the Archer Direct itinerary as a starting place. I think you could do it more economically, too, and would definitely recommend it if one or two of your party can drive.

There are other great places for your cowboy-mad brother, too. One I can think of is just down the road from me at Ridgway, CO, an authentic ranching community. (One of many in Colorado) The original True Grit movie (and many others) was filmed nearby, and Dennis Weaver (beloved actor who played Chester in the old Gunsmoke TV series) called it home. You could even plan a visit around the fair and rodeo.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

There's a Traveling With Disabilities forum here on Trip Advisor. You might want to post there to see if anyone knows about the Archer Direct with regard to disabilities, or if anyone is aware of other tours that cater to the disabled, i.e. with wheelchair lift equipped vans.

But I think you would have so much more flexibility with a self-tour! And get to see and experience so much more.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12336-Travelin…

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

I have just join. I am the brother cowboy mad one. Just want to say thanks for the information you have given. ;)

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
265 reviews
6. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Hi, I posted a reply on your Denver posting. I have taken a bus tour before (not with Archer) and can tell you that one was not wheelchair friendly. When you call Archer I would ask specifically about the clause I mentioned in that other posting if you are still in doubt. (Usually they will be very quick to make promises when they are trying to make a sale and here they are trying to discourage you.)

As missp suggested, I would go to the traveling with disabilities forum and look for some ideas there. I hope that you end up with a great trip and wonderful memories of your time here in the great west.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
7. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Hi, Graham B! You are most welcome. Let us know what you decide and if you have any more questions we might be able to help with or at least point you in some direction, right or wrong, lol.

Susie Lou, I couldn't get the link to their "Impaired Mobility" clause 16e to work, either.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 20:32
Kent
2 posts
8. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Hi Candleshoe

Thanks for your interest in one of our holidays. Due to your special requirements we recommend contacting our reservations team who can discuss your needs in more detail. Please feel free to email us at archersadmin@archersdirect.co.uk, or if you prefer to call you can ring us on

0844 573 4810,

Once again thanks for considering an Archers Direct holiday

Edited: 21 February 2012, 17:38
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
265 reviews
9. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Welcome to the discussion, Archers Direct. Can you tell us what is the clause that we cannot get to open? It may be helpful to others who are considering travel with your agency if there is some way to open that on the web.

archersdirect.co.uk/holiday-faqs/holiday-hea… is the page in question.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kent
2 posts
10. Re: national parks and canyons with cosmos/archer direct

Hi SusieLou,

Thanks for bringing the above to our attention. We've looked into the issue and the link should now open.

Thanks,

Archers Direct