We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for advice/help

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
looking for advice/help

want to take dd skiing for xmas 2012. we are thinking of 12/23 - 27. having a hard time deciding where to stay. we were thinking of steamboat. the only thing is the drive time from denver airport (have a great flight deal though) the flights into and out of hayden are at strange times. looked into breckenridge also.

dd needs ski school for at least one - two days. she is experienced but, still. i myself need private lessons every day!

want to be in a resortish place w/ a pool and hottub and game room w/ restaurants super nearby.

any advice or help would certainly be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for advice/help

We love Steamboat, but it is significantly farther (and a more challenging drive) from DEN than Breckenridge, Keystone or Vail, all of which would have the kind of accommodations you want.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for advice/help

thank you for your reply.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for advice/help

laob, some places have women's group lessons, so you might want to check that out. It would be fun and you'd meet some gals to ski with or have lunch with.

Breckenridge will be busier at Christmas because it is easier to get to, as you've found.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for advice/help

thanks miss westslope....much appreciated. i defintely need private to start with! i am not a skier by any stretch! maybe one or two private and then a group....

just so confused as where to go! we would be flying in the 23rd and landing in the late morning and then departing onthe 27th at 2pm (from denver)

any additional advice it truly appreciated.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for advice/help

Not sure if this is something you might be interested in but Crested Butte offers a program called "Ski with Wendy" where you can enjoy a variety of clinics (as well as private lessons) for women only. Wendy, of "Ski with Wendy" is Wendy Fisher, a world champion free skier and former olympian. Crested Butte runs a number of different women's clinics throughout the winter (e.g., Backcountry Babes, Women's tele clinics....). Other resorts may run similar programs but probably not with one of the top skier in the world (male or female). In either case, it might be something to look into no matter where you go.

http://www.fishski.com/index.html

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for advice/help

My family is not a great fan of Steamboat, just personal preference. We have enjoyed Keystone quite a bit - it has a great ski school with private/semi-private options, at least, they did back when my kids and I were still taking lessons. It's easy to get to, is a nice place to stay and has the features you're looking for. They will be very crowded during your time frame, however. If you're going to do a huge Summit County resort, I would do Keystone, not Big Breck. You might consider Ski Sunlight, just outside Glenwood Springs. Yes, it's smaller than the Summit county, Eagle county and Aspen resorts, but my family thinks it's still big enough to be fun. Stay in Glenwood, play in the hot springs, save lots of $$$ and still have a great time. We've had excellent ski lessons there. They also have (had) a top-rated ski patrol, which we (unfortunately) know from first-hand experience. The drive from Denver is not too bad, 3-4 hours depending on traffic and weather, with Glenwood Canyon being one of my favorite stretches of highway in the country, very beautiful. Ski Sunlight will be less crowded than the big-name resorts. That's important to us, but everybody is different. Have a safe and fun trip!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for advice/help

thanks ab. appreciate your input

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for advice/help

I would second the suggestion to check out Sunlight. Great resort, plenty of terrain and a fraction of the visitors compared to places in Summit County. Group lessons at Sunlight are often 1:1 or 1:2 and besides, who wants to wait on lift lines while they're on vacation?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for advice/help

thanks for the replies. we have decided on vail for our xmas vacation

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for advice/help

dont forget to allow for flight delays and cancellations that time of year in and out of Denver, due to bad weather!