We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

Hi - We are taking our first trip to CO this summer (9 & 13 yr old kids). We are flying into Denver and driving through Vail, then down through Leadville to Pagosa Springs. We have a condo there for a week and will do mtn bking, springs, day trip to Durango fo the train. We'll leave, by driving through Col Springs for a couple of days. My question, is where to WhiteWater raft, as we want it exciting and fun. I hear the Arkansas is best, but first of July it may be too slow b/c of low water. It would be easier to raft near Pagosa area, but we are willing to do it on the Arkansas, or any other location recommended, for moving/fun water/pretty views. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
153 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

It is too early to tell about Arkansas conditions in July, but normally our rafting season lasts at least till July 7-12.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

Tubing on the San Juan River through Pagosa Springs in July is a blast. Rafting options in July will depend on water levels...all depends on how quick the snow melts.

Let me know if you have any questions about your visit to Pagosa!

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

I've rafted the Arkansas over 20 times during the last 25 years during the last week of July. Though the CFS's are lower there is plenty of whitewater and we've always had a great trip using 4 Corners Expeditions. I've rafted oar and paddle rafts in Big Horn Sheep Canyon, Brown's Canyon and the Royal Gorge (my favorite).

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

25 years is not comparable to this year. This year is reeeeally gonna be low. IMO they should only book if allowed to cancel with no penalty. Then ask again the week before.

I have already been out on the river privately rafting this season, and so have others. Even rivers with Dam releases are going to be low. The Arkansas area is dependent on rafting season, so I am not suggesting there will not be a rafting season. IMO the rafting companies will run until the boats hit bottom. However customers should be aware of conditions before dropping $$$.

A good spot to look at conditions is Eddy Flower.

www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx…

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

Hmm, I haven't kept up with snowfall as I didn't go skiing this year. Must have been a REALLY bad season :(

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,585 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

Royal Gorge--be aware of age restrictions, minimum ages of 12 or 16 depending on conditions and runs.

Latest snowpack totals are at about 50% statewide and dropping. No snow as 1FourFun said means poor rafting. Predictions are for April to continue warm and dry.

7. Re: Advice on White Water Rafting first of July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:41