We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's best for relative beginners ?

Northampton
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where's best for relative beginners ?

Hi people,

My wife and I have just returned from skiing in Italy (only our second time skiing), but we enjoyed it so much we want to book a Christmas skiing trip to the States or Canada. Where's best for us relative newcomers to go ?, taking into consideration best slopes, nightlife etc.

Thanks a lot,

Ron (and Gail).

Northampton, England

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's best for relative beginners ?

Hi Ron,

I would recommend staying in Summit County, Colorado. That gives you the option of skiing Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, and several other resorts all during your trip. Copper Mountain is my personal favorite. If you stay on the mountain, they have a great village set up where everything is in walking distance. They also have one of the top rated ski schools in the nation if you plan on taking lessons.

Another great option, if you choose Canada, would be Whistler. Depending on who you ask, that is one of the best mountains in North America.

Mentioned in this post
Summit Inn
Summit Inn
169 Reviews
Frisco, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Copper Mountain
Copper Mountain
785 Reviews
Copper Mountain, CO
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
Canada
Canada
North America
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
New York
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's best for relative beginners ?

I second the recommendation for Whistler. We've skied Whistler many times - including Christmas. It is always a festive environment any time of the year, but especially at Christmas. The village is expansive with everything within a short walk and lots of restaurants and nightlife. You will simply not need a car - unless you want to explore the area around Whistler. Just take the Perimeter Express from Vancouver airport to the door of your lodging in Whistler. Try staying in the main village - near the Skiers Plaza. That will put you right at the base of Whistler near the Whistler Gondola, the Fitzsimmons chair, and the Blackcomb Gondola. The slopes are the best this side of Europe (in my opinion) and with a base elevation of about 2000+ ft. - you really won't have much of an altitude adjustment. Both Whistler and Blackcomb top out (for the skier) around 6500+ ft. So it is not like most other western US and CA areas that have bases around 8-9,000 ft. There are plenty of trails on Whistler mountain for relative newcomers. There are also some nice trails on Blackcomb, but you will have a hard time skiing both Whistler and Blackcomb extensively during a trip of a week or less. To do both justice you really need at least 2 weeks. Depending on your BOAC flight's arrival in Vancouver, I also recommend the Fairmont Hotel at the Vancouver Airport. We often arrive after midnight (flying from JFK) and we check straight into the Fairmont after clearing customs (only a few steps away). Then we take the Perimeter Express the next day to Whistler

Of course you cannot go wrong with the suggestion for Summit County, CO either. We spent the Christmas before last in Colorado and the skiing and restaurants were awesome. Either way, be prepared to pay premium rates for lodging and travel over the Christmas season.

When you tire of skiing, both areas offer things like snowmobiling, sleigh rides, and cross-country skiing. I have always been too tired after all the skiing to do much else other than a nice restaurant.

Cheers!

Bill-

New York

Mentioned in this post
Whistler
Whistler
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Breckenridge Gondola
Breckenridge Gondola
1,955 Reviews
Breckenridge, CO
Summit Inn
Summit Inn
169 Reviews
Frisco, CO
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's best for relative beginners ?

I love Snowmass. You can choose from 5 different ski areas in the vicinity. The bus system is great. For cheaper accommodations you could stay in Glenwood Springs. Hotel Colorado is a historic hotel that might suite you, with the Hot Springs Pool across the street. Both Snowmass and Aspen offer great dining and nightlife, but your lodging will be at a premium that time of year.

Snowmass ski area has a wide variety of terrain, mostly beginner to intermediate. The instructors are great as well. Buttermilk is just down the road from Snowmass and is noted for being a beginners mountain. It is a great place to build your confidence. You can also try out Aspen Mtn or Highlands if you feel like taking on more of a challenge. Sunlight is a local ski area in Glenwood Springs.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Colorado
Hotel Colorado
1,156 Reviews
Glenwood Springs, CO
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado