We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to CO from NYC help!!

so it's not a trip but we will be visiting for 4 days at the end of May to get an idea of the lay of the land. We know we want to be near Denver or the Springs with a 'city feel' but the amenities of the suburbs and easy access to hiking areas. What areas should we put on our list to scope out while we're in town and why?

Really looking for the insiders help here. Thanks everyone!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

'city feel' but the amenities of the suburbs and easy access to hiking area..Look at Boulder or Golden

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Colorado Springs has that feel definitely (and Manitou Springs is right there by the Springs) and if you don't mind being about 15 minutes out from there Woodland Park is a neat area but not with a Cities feel like the Springs but certainly hiking opportunities and nearby to the Springs, also very picturesque for a location.

Golden as suggested is a good one.

We have yet to be to Fort Collins so I can't attest to how big of a Cities feel there but certainly Estes Park and RMNP are in that general area so I know there's a bunch of suburbs up that way north of Denver I've heard people talk about (Longmont and Johnstown). The City-Data website will help give relevant info. as far as relocation goes and what's really a more suitable fit for you. That's so different for everyone certainly.

Others I see mentioned online are Castle Rock which we pass on our way to Colorado Springs, (between Denver and CO Springs), Golden as mentioned before, Morrison, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. I still think Golden is a nice choice. Some may fit your interests better. I find putting them to the Wikipedia test helps to glean more good info. and specifics. That and the city websites certainly and city-data for a particular city online too.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 21:53
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Since your post isn't entirely travel related it may get closed. A better place to research relocation information would be on the City-Data forums: http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/

My advice is if you need to work, find that first and then choose a surrounding area. While traffic is nothing like the NYC area, neither is public transportation and our snow storms can make a real mess of things.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Exactly what we were looking for over 20 years ago, and we chose Fort Collins. We wanted to be close to Denver, but not IN Denver. We love it here. Other areas to look at would be Boulder, Louisville, Golden, Evergreen, Longmont, Loveland, Windsor, Castle Rock. All are close enough to Denver to allow you to go there for dinner, shows, shopping, etc. But, they are also enough of a town that you can do just about anything you want without fighting Denver traffic on a daily basis. Anyplace along the Front Range will be close to hiking, rafting, skiing, and other outdoor activities. Fort Collins and Boulder both have major universities, so that gives both towns a lot more activities,bars and restaurants than you would normally expect from towns of this size. (Fort Collins has a population of about 150,000).

5. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 May 2012, 04:35
Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Oh, and while this post is technically about relocating, the question is actually about which cities to visit on a 4 day trip out here so I don't think it should be removed or closed by Trip advisor. Just my $0.02. :-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Agree with Rachel

8. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2012, 18:05
Miami Beach, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

bolder is the nicest place

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to CO from NYC help!!

Actually buying a house in Boulder city limits can get pretty expensive. My $0.02 is to look at Ft. Collins. It's more suburb/laid back than "big city" feel, but it's nice. Colorado Springs would also be good for you. Maybe look the area around the Denver Tech Center (more suburbs, but quick access to the Park Meadows Shopping area, Cherry Creek State Park and I25 to Denver).