We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

At a glance, there is an "entrance fee" to drive up to the top of Mt. Evans ($10) unless you have a National Parks Pass.

However, upon further digging, I found that some people dispute this fee, and that the "official rule" is that if you don't use the Forest Service Amenities, you shouldn't have to pay. The contention is what defines "Amenities"... (The Scenic Pullouts is probably the only one I need to use) I have not found any additional/recent information.

So, for the locals, what is the reality/law? On an upcoming road trip, I plan to drive up there for a quick look, and perhaps snap a photo and be on my way. Do I really need to pay $10?

The thing is that I have a national parks annual pass, but it expires the end of this month...and my current plan is to drive up Mt. Evans on June 1.... I may rearrange my plans a little and go up Mt. Evans on May 31 instead and go to Pike's Peak on June 1...

Colorado National Monument
Monuments & Statues, Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Black Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
San Juan National Forest
Forests, National Parks
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Deserts, Mountains, National Parks
Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

I've done the Mount Evans drive with the payment and also tried it once without the fee, because my cheap in-laws from Texas were with me. My recomendation is to pay the fee.The Forest Service doesn't get enough appropriated funds from Congress for the upkeep of such a popular place, so they charge fees to the actual users of the place. Don't be like my relatives, always trying to get something for nothing at the expense of everyone else.

The situation is the roadway itself is owned by the City of Denver, but the surrounding land is National Forest. The road itself, and only the road is the fee-free section. Basically, if you leave the roadway for any reason, you need to pay the fee. And the fee pays for the nice visitor center and bathrooms halfway up, plus other things. And at the very top, if you don't pay the fee, then you can't walk out to the overlooks, because that is off of the roadway. So you can just sit in your car. So no fee, no bathroom breaks, leaving the road for better photos, or doing the short climb to the very top of Mount Evans.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 20:40
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

I'd have to agree with timo2 - unless you literally plan on driving up, snapping a picture from your car, and driving back, you should pay the fee. They really did a nice job with the short trail from the top of the road to the summit, and if you walk up it, you can say you were at the very top of a Colorado 14er! Of all the things you could be spending $10 on, I think this one is pretty worthy...

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

Right. I forget that the "peak" is another 1/4 mile from the parking lot, so I guess I will definitely be using that amenity. I'll pay the $10. Its not that much.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

Though I do like your idea of switching the days for Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans, especially since you have the National Parks Pass through May. I always get caught wanting to go somewhere about 2 days after mine expires as well - it's quite irritating.

5. Re: Mt. Evans (Co state road 5) fees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:40