We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire bans/fireworks

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Fire bans/fireworks

If you are wondering about the fire bans here is a link to the county by county bans in place here in CO.

www.coemergency.com/p/fire-ban-info.html

CO is so very dry, please show extra caution. I have followed behind people who have thrown cigarettes out of their car windows. Please, please don't do this. Use your ashtray. Also make sure your campfires are completely doused.

www.smokeybear.com/put-out-campfire.asp

And with the July 4th celebrations approaching, it's important to note that CO doesn't allow a lot of fireworks that are legal in WY so don't bring them into the state. If you are going to be in the Denver area on the 4th a great fireworks show can be seen in the Englewood/Littleton area at Cornerstone Park. It's one of my favorite shows with activities going on all day for the family.

www.englewoodgov.org/Index.aspx?page=627

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

Thanks for posting, SusieLou! Great reminders for everyone - visitors and locals alike. Please be smart and careful out there!!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,913 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

there is always one who will refuse to dirty up their ashtray ... and as a result, our houses burn down ... but you can't educate a smoker *shrugs

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

Yep dry, dry ,dry. Hoping for a bit of rain Saturday. Do the rain dance everyone.

Why do people throw cig butts out the window? I doubt they'd toss out other trash? I think if you smoke Colorado is not for you anyway. Maybe go to Laughlin Nevada instead? It saddens me to see butts on our hiking trails, the ski runs. A bit of a rant I know.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

Just heard that the Governor signed an order today banning open burning and private use of fireworks STATEWIDE because of very dry conditions and high fire danger.

"It doesn't apply to campfires in permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed camp and picnic grounds or recreation sites, and people can still use liquid-fueled or gas-fueled stoves. The ban also doesn't cover indoor fireplaces, charcoal grills at private homes.

Commercial, professional and municipal fireworks displays are allowed with written approval by the county sheriff."

9news.com/news/article/272412/188/Colo-gover…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

Good information Babalax

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

But it is worth noting that the individual counties may have bans that are MORE strict than the state bans. So, you must still check the bans in the individual county before using any kind of outdoor fires or stoves. Also, I think there is also a ban on outdoor welding in some places (maybe even the whole state???) due to the sparks.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

One more thing that might help out is the link for notification about emergency situations. If you are vacationing and have a phone number you can register it with the local agency where you are and if there is a situation where you need to be evacuated then you hopefully will get a call. Obviously not all areas of the state are cell phone friendly due to the mountains blocking signals but it is worth a try. Just remember to take your phone number off when you leave the area to avoid getting calls when you no longer need them and overworking the system.

http://www.coemergency.com/p/sources.html

Concerning smoking, there are areas in the state (and other states) that restrict smoking to inside buildings and inside vehicles. That means keep the butts inside when you are done.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

bump

Heard that unless it rains Breckenridge will cancel fireworks this year.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 16:21
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

Aspen has cancelled theirs already. Actually just read that Breck did cancel also. Frisco said they will go ahead since they do their over the lake so they feel safe.

Thanks to all who will keep this bumped.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 17:26
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fire bans/fireworks

The Estes Valley Fire Protection District Board has given the OK for Estes Park to have July 4 fireworks. Over Lake Estes is deemed a safe environment unless conditions change.

I have not seen official word for Grand Lake but since their fireworks are over the lake, I would assume they have the OK as well.