We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

What would be the most scenic route from Grand Lake to Canon City? Debating between Winter Park to Leadville to Salida to Canon City or else Winter Park to Breckenridge to Canon City. Is the Leadville route more mountains and the Breckenridge through Fairplay more a valley route?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

I'll throw a slight diversion in. While Berthoud Pass (Winter Park route) is spectacular, you might think about following the Colorado River west to Kremmling and then taking the Trough Road (county 1) from 9 over to 131. I find it a wonderful route to follow the early sections of one of America's greatest rivers.

My personal opinion is that the drive from Breck south and Leadville south is pretty comparable. If you go the Leadville route, Minturn or Leadville would be good lunch stops.

Have fun.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

Thanks for the suggestion, but on our first trip to Colorado we took part of that route to Grand Lake and I want to go a different way this time.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

Highway 24 from Minturn to Salida is a beautiful route along parts of both the Top of the Rockies and Collegiate Peaks Scenic Byways. Highway 91 to Leadville is not nearly as scenic in my opinion as highway 24.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
359 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

My route choices would be between Rt 9 through Breckenridge or Rt 91 through Leadville. I don't want to drive all the way to Rt 24.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

Yes, I was just trying to coerce you into a more scenic route but driving to 24 along I-70 to Minturn and then to Leadville would add about 45 minutes to your trip. I would take the Leadville to Salida route.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

I vote Leadville to Salida, as well.

7. Re: Best route from Grand Lake to Canon City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:45