We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crazy rental car prices???

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
crazy rental car prices???

Hi, can anyone please explain why it costs at least $500 for a weekly rental car out of Denver International in mid July? I have been looking for over a month. A compact car is $500, and it goes up from there. In the past I've gotten a weekly rental in Denver for around $200. Suggestions? Thank you, Jim

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Try Avis offsite at DoubleTree. Shuttle from DEN to hotel and you can return to airport.

http://denver.avis.com/

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Yes the Doubletree Works, there is lots of informtion

tripadvisor.com/…36882060

threads within threads

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Thank you, I just booked a car at the Denver Doubletree Avis location, and saved $100.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Good, a $100.00 will buy a decent meal out!

5. Re: crazy rental car prices???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 16:05
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crazy rental car prices???

We've had good luck using Priceline for car rentals in Denver.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Wow, Oz. That took some searching to find a YEAR OLD thread to post that link.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Now that this ancient thread has been resurrected......

I can not suggest Priceline. My one experience with them, AFTER my booking went thru, they changed my drop off location to somewhere 1.5 hours away from where I needed to be!!! I lost my money, b/c I could NOT do it that way. When I researched, I found DOZENS of cases of people with similar incidents. Will never use them again.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 15:44
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crazy rental car prices???

Yes, fast forward one year... same issue, only worse! My latest solution for our upcoming trip at the end of July was to rent from the Budget location in downtown Denver (1980 Broadway). We will take a bus (www.rtd-denver.com) that goes from the airport to downtown to pick up the car. We can return the car at the airport. This process also requires flying into Denver International in the earlier part of the day, since the downtown location closes at 6:00 PM. But, this extra step saved us hundreds of dollars!

Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crazy rental car prices???

We are coming in next Saturday and I found on the Dollar and Thrifty site if you go to the deals tab on top there are some great specials for Denver airport. We are getting a Ford escape or similar for 5 days for 235 total base rate was 33 a day. Best I have found. Same deals on dollar or thrifty.