We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Frisco to Alamosa

Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Frisco to Alamosa

We'll be staying in Frisco the end of July and had originally planned to spend the next night at Mt. Princeton Hot Springs resort after rafting in Buena Vista. However, based on information I've been reading here, we have decided to cancel our rafting trip and head to Alamosa instead, with a stop in St. Elmo. My question is, do you recommend taking the route through Leadville or the one through Fairplay, and which sites are worth a stop en route?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Frisco to Alamosa

Why Alamosa?

Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Frisco to Alamosa

Because the next stop on our loop tour is the Great Sand Dunes. (It was already planned). Plan A was to get up early and drive there from Mt Princeton. Plan B is to spend the night there instead and get up not as early. (Unless I'm advised otherwise!)

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,765 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Frisco to Alamosa

Oh - I thought you were headed to Alamosa since rafting was out - but that makes more sense. I was thinking personally I would not go that far for a new activity - but I get it now.

I have to say though the Mt. Princeton hot springs are pretty cool, plus there is a waterslide there the kids can have fun on - so I would not entirely rule BV out. However if you are just not gonna go there, then I would go thru Leadville - they have a cute historic main street and might be a nice place to get out, stretch your legs, and look around. Where as Fairplay is just an old mountain local's town, no real areas to see. However you could always take Boreas pass via Breck to Como and go that way - the pass has some gorgeous views and some historic ruins as well.

Another option is to spend the night in Salida - a good half way spot. The little town is sooo cute, artsy, plus you can dine on the river front and get your 'water fix.' They have a town rec center that is fun for kids that uses hot spring water.

Indiana
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Frisco to Alamosa

Thank you for the food for thought! My main reason to stay in Alamosa would be to be closer so we can get to the Dunes in the morning before the sand gets unbearably hot. And to not have to get the teenagers up before dawn to do so - also unbearable! But I do like the idea of Salida, too.......

5. Re: Route from Frisco to Alamosa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2013, 10:17