We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic getaway without skiing

ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Romantic getaway without skiing

My husband and I are planning a 3 or 4 night getaway without the kids to see snow and beautiful scenery. I have never seen snow (born and raised in Florida) and just want to enjoy some beginning snow activities and would love to see it actually snowing? Some activities we would like are Snowmobiling, tubing, dog-sledding etc. We both never skied so don't care about being at the perfect ski location. We either plan on going during early December or late January. Not sure if we should push it farther, will the weather be more manageable??? Don't want to go during extremely cold weather or blizzards. Thanks in advance, I really hope for a memorable experience.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

I would consider trying Ouray, Colorado. It is a lovely, small high mountain town. It is not a ski resort, so it will be much less expensive than any area that is a resort. You can get lots of other winter activities, just no downhill skiing. One of the hotels (I think it is Box Canyon Lodge, but not positive) has it's own personal hot springs.

It's going to be cold in the mountains in both December or January, but Jan tends to be a bit worse. You could fly into Montrose, CO and have an easy drive to Ouray. There are no scary mountain passes, etc between the two. Most winters you can get direct flights into Montrose from Houston and Dallas, sometimes also from Atlanta. Telluride is a beautiful place, but since it is a ski town, will be expensive. However, it is only about an hours drive from Ouray, so you could drive over for a day to visit.

www.OurayColorado.com

www.visitmontrose.com

www.visittelluride.com

Edited: 09 September 2012, 20:22
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

I know this is the Colorado forum, but I can't resist mentioning that Yellowstone National Park is beautiful in the winter.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,459 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

http://www.devilsthumbranch.com/ is worth looking at. Has lots of outdoor activities without being at a ski resort.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

For better snow related activities, come the end of January. Devils Thumb Ranch (suggested by alli) is close to

Grand Lake (the snowmobiling capital of Colorado) www.grandlakechamber.com

Winter Park Ski resort which has activities other than skiing.

The western side of Rocky Mountain National Park for snowshoeing, wildlife viewing and scenery. Link to last winter's newpaper. nps.gov/romo/parknews/upload/winter_2012.pdf

Snow Mountain Ranch www.ymcarockies.org with tubing, ice skating and sleigh rides through Sombrero Ranch plus other activities.

The Fraser tubing hill. http://www.site.thefrasertubinghill.com/

Edited: 10 September 2012, 17:31
ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

Thanks for the replies,

I will make sure to research the choices you have given. I was looking in Vail and would love a posh resort in the village. Any suggestions?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,757 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

If budget is not an issue you can't go wrong here: http://www.sonnenalp.com/

or here: www.fourseasons.com/vail/accommodations/…

or in Beaver Creek: http://www.cordilleralodge.com/

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

I would also push your arrival into Feb.

Sometimes, parts of Jan can be COLD.

Matt

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,459 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

My 02 it is going to harder to do the non-skiing activities at Vail. It has great shopping, dining spas but snowmobiling, dog sledding are going to require a drive. If it is a "posh" resort your wanting then Babalax's recommendations are good. Also look at the Ritz ritzcarlton.com/en/…Default.htm

if your pocketbook can handle it they would probably be able to help with arrangements.

Matt raises a good point coming from FL your going to need warm clothing too.

Edited: 11 September 2012, 18:06
ft lauderdale
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have enjoyed researching all the great sites you all have linked. I am starting to rethink our plans. Once I checked the weather report I noticed how extreme the weather can be in dec. and jan. the prices are much better during these months though. The four seasons vail (which looks perfect!) has a buy one night get the second Free! Can't beat that. That gives me a standard room in early December for a little over $200.00! But if I check rates for feb-April the rates skyrocket to $800.00 a night!!! Unbelievable!!!! Why such an extreme difference? Is it the weather that makes early December so cheap? I don't want to go in horrible blizzard weather and get stuck inside the whole trip. What should I do!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,459 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic getaway without skiing

Funny to us the prospect of a blizzard in the high county tends to makes us giddy with thoughts of epic skiing! That said unless a storm prevents you from traveling it won't prevent you from doing outdoor activities once you are here. Sadly blizzards are rare, a nice snow storm though is always welcome!

December is less because the ski season is not yet in high gear that starts as you are finding after Christmas through April. Since you are not skiing no reason not to take advantage of the lower prices. And yes by mid December there should be, note should be, enough snow to enjoy those other winter activities.