We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chimney Rock National Monument

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Chimney Rock National Monument

It's official, Chimney Rock was designated a National Monument today!!

From the press release (http://www.chimneyrockco.org):

Chimney Rock National Monument is in the San Juan National Forest in Southwest Colorado, and will continue to be managed by the U.S. Forest Service. Chimney Rock is of great spiritual importance to Pueblos and other Tribes in the southwest corner of Colorado. With its twin sandstone pillars and its massive Chacostyle masonry walls perched 1,000 feet above the Piedra River Valley the monument protects a landscape important to the continuation of traditional cultural practices of the modern Puebloan Indians.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

That is so cool! I haven't been there but it is on my list of places.

California
Level Contributor
123 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

This is wonderful news. I did not stop by there, but went by it this year on the way to another place. I used to work for the organization that put Chimney Rock on Colorado's Most Endangered Places List. Glad to hear that it has come such a long way. :)

Edited: 22 September 2012, 05:38
United States
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

Tripadvisor has an old listing for 'Chimney Rock Archaeological Area" and that is where most people are posting instead of this new Chimney Rock National Monument page.

Tripadvisor, can you somehow "merge" the two? It is very confusing. Last week I put my posting on the Chimney Rock Archaeological Area listing page.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

davey600, under the listing for any attraction on TA is the link for "Update attraction details" where you can change the name, address, website, etc. for that attraction. I have submitted the name change for Chimney Rock National Monument and also submitted the website Pagosa Springs listed above. TA should update the site in a few days.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 22:14
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,300 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

Yay!

United States
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

To tripadvisor forum expert. This listing is still coming up when I google the name of the attraction. However, tripadvisor has now updated the name of the "other" listing (which has many more reviews) to reflect chimney rock national monument. The "other" listing should remain intact ideally.

Bottom line, this one perhaps needs to be "deleted" as people are still finding it in google.

If you google Chimney rock national monument you will find both listings and the one that was previously listed as chimney rock archaological site (but the name has been updated) has many more reviews).

Hope this makes since!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,326 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

davey600, this "listing" is not a listing. It is part of the Colorado forum travel discussion just like the Durango forum where you asked about restaurants with nice outdoor dining areas. Pagosa Springs chose to title this forum discussion or thread "Chimney Rock National Monument." Yes, often times when you google points of interest in Colorado, both listings for reviews on TA and travel discussions on the TA forums will come up as options. Listings for review purposes and topics/questions here on the travel forum are two different things.

8. Re: Chimney Rock National Monument

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:17