We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Area Snow Depths

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Ski Area Snow Depths

I was wondering if all the ski areas in North America are held to the same standards of reporting snow depth. I know in Colorado that we use the mid mt base as the standard and... same for new snow fall. It's a 24 hr report from 5am-5am at mid mt. Many ski areas will report their summit numbers also, which will undoubtably be higher. Good to know if it's 4-5 inches deeper than mid. It is significant because many of us spend a lot of time recreating up top.

I was reading Jackson Holes report and they seem to base all their snowfall on the summit, although in very small print they do give their mid mt base and new snow. They also have a chart that compares their snowfall to other ski areas with their summit total compared to everyone's mid mt depth. Obviously if we all reported the summit for our numbers, we would have much higher bases and snow falls.

Just wondering if all ski areas are held to the same standard. Anyone know if there is some written or unwritten law? Seems not.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
355 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour and...
123 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
186 reviews
from US$55.00*
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

go here

http://www.opensnow.com/state/CO

and "ask us"

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

It's a mystery where JH got their 170" for the bar graph comparing themselves to other mts since they have 184" at summit & 144" at mid-mt. Guess they averaged it and rounded up! Perhaps they had to do special math to beat out Alta!

www.jacksonhole.com/weather-snow-report.html

We envy you, powderglut, your snow in Steamboat. I used to live there in the 70's when we had 4 wire winters & cross-country skied over the top wire of our horse fences. Looks like you have that snow depth now. Lucky!

Snowing here in Montana now.... yeeeha!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

texranger, I was hoping you had the answer. I may call ski corp and see if someone has some insight.

The 170" for Jackson was this AM's before the 5AM report. So probably right.

I don't begrudge Jackson and Targhee starting off like a house a fire. Good for them!!!!! I'd just like to see same comparisons, instead of giving us the summit number while we report the mid mt number. Let's use the same measuring stick!

denalicat, we got completely saved by 5 ft of snow in 5 days. It was pretty grim before that. We still could use a couple of feet to fill in the trees . You know there's never enuf. Snowing now. Hope it's substantial! By the way If you know chef Bucky (in Redlodge) give him a hello from the Boat.

Edited: 24 December 2012, 20:26
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

There are rarely straight apples to apples comparisons. Even the all important "average annual snowfall" is subject to the amount of snow that falls during the ski season, regardless of the length of the season. So for example, long after Crested Butte and other Colorado resorts are closed, A-basin is still adding any new snowfall to their number.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

This was sent to me from a reliable online snow report site.

Thank you for your note. As far as we know, there are not any set standards for resort snow reporting in North America. However, when resorts file their snow reports for OnTheSnow.com , they all must adhere to the same format. For instance, both Steamboat and Jackson must input snow depths for "Lower Elevation", "Middle Elevation" and "Upper Elevation". There are several other fields that each resort must fill out that standardizes the data that is displayed on our site and partner sites. I know this doesn't fully answer your question, but we hope it is helpful. Thank you for your interest and for your support of www.OnTheSnow.com

Edited: 03 January 2013, 19:19
6. Re: Ski Area Snow Depths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:15