We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family skiing

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Family skiing

I am starting to plan a trip from Australia after Christmas this year. My husband, daughter(aged 9) and I are all skiers and would like some advise on where we should 1: ski in Colorado, and 2: stay in Colorado Springs prior to skiing to get us used to the climate?

We have skied in France for our last 2 overseas trips, but want to go to the USA. Where should we go which is not too expensive, has a good ski school for our daughter, and where should we stay? We do prefer ski in ski out, and we are both good skiers but are no longer challenging ourselves with moguls etc.

When we arrive in Colorado Springs we would like to stay in a hotel in town for about 2-3 nights. We would like to be near some restaurants and somewhere we can go and see things during the day.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
348 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour and...
121 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
183 reviews
from US$55.00*
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family skiing

Colorado Springs is a rather sprawling area. Downtown is a very nice place, albeit small. There is a variety of restaurants. But not a lot for hotels. The Antler's Hilton is the best choice. If you're only using Colorado Springs as a buffer before moving to a resort, I would recommend two nights - three would be a bit much in the winter. Also note that Colorado Springs is taking you in a direction further from ski resorts than Denver. Also, if you're concerned about altitude acclimatization, you will have had that same altitude on the aircraft for 15-16 hours coming over from Australia.

Any of the resorts can offer you what you're seeking. Both Copper Mountain (where I happen to be right now) and Winter Park offer nice villages located right at the base of the mountain. They do tend to be a bit more economical. You might also look at the economy of getting an Epic Mix season pass from Vail Resorts that allows you access to Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek. If you're skiing for a week or so, it would likely be more economical than day tickets. Beaver Creek is an especially good choice for what you need.

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,618 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family skiing

I too am curious why Colorado Springs. Both Denver and Boulder offer more what you describe.

TumbleweedandCactus did you read the "not too expensive" part?? Beaver Creek is very costly!

You might look at Keystone. over All much more affordable and a big mountain too. You can get ski in ski out much much less than at Vail or BC. Great ski school, I prefer the one based out of Mountain House.

This might help

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/colorado/north…

Edited: 11 January 2013, 17:07
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family skiing

Given the time of year and distances you'll be traveling to get to Colorado, I would suggest looking at Crested Butte and Telluride. Both resorts will be much less crowded than any of the ones listed above but Telluride does not qualify as "not too expensive."

www.skicb.com

Not sure what you're planning to do in Colorado Springs. I'm heading to the springs again tomorrow for the second time this week to pick up my better half at the airport. It's 3.5 hours from Colorado Springs to Crested Butte. Gorgeous drive but snow can make it much more difficult.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,618 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family skiing

ooops I copied the wrong link I meant this might help on saving $$

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g33501-c105353/Keysto…

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family skiing

We also have to put "not too expensive" into perspective. Almost everything in Australia is very expensive compared to the US, and their ski resorts are some of the most expensive in the world. a resort an American might see as pricey could be right on target for an Aussie.

OP, if you have a number in mind for what you might like to spend per person for lift and lodging that could help you get more accurate answers.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family skiing

Since Telluride was mentioned earlier....

It will be much less crowded than the other resorts mentioned, since it it more islolated. There are great restaurants available, interesting shopping and a historic town well over 100 years old, long before it was a ski town. You could fly directly into Telluride or Montrose, CO, which is about 1.5 hr drive from Telluride. If you fly into Montrose, the altitude is a bit lower and you can buy groceries, etc at stores that are less expensive than those up in the mountains. Here are some links to show you what is available.

www.visittelluride.com

www.mountain-village.co.us

www.visitmontrose.com

www.telluridemuseum.org

www.mountainwestmuseum.com

www.ridewithroudy.com

www.telluridesnowmobile.net

www.browndogpizza.net

www.siamtelluride.com

www.221southoak.com

Many more restaurants, the above is a small sample.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family skiing

Agreed that it's all relative. I have friends here that spend weeks in Chamonix each year and call it a bargain ski vacation.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family skiing

How we Aussies LOVE to ski! I'm also trying to decide on a resort but we are looking at 22-29 December 2013. Yes, peak time :( But that is what works with our other plans.

We are novice skiiers and looking for lodging preferably US$500 a night and under. Ideally we would like to be within walking distance of where ever we are taking our kids (7 and 10) to ski school.

We are looking for a resort that is as easy as possible to access from either Eagle (Vail) or Denver airports. With a child that gets car sick, we try to minimise or eliminate long drives through exceedingly winding mountain roads.

We have been looking at Breckenridge, Winter Park, Vail and Keystone.

All thoughts and suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family skiing

Check out Telluride.... you can fly directly there or to Montrose which is 1.5 hour drive away. Look at the above post regarding Telluride.

If you fly into Telluride, you will have the bonus of being able to tell your friends you flew into the highest elevation commercial airport in North America.

Edited: 12 January 2013, 14:03
Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family skiing

From Denver, you have easy access to Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper, Vail, and Beaver Creek. Vail and Beaver Creek are closer to Eagle airport, if the flights work for you. For the others, I wouldn't bother flying to Eagle.

I70 runs from Denver, near all these resorts, and to the west. It is not exceedingly twisty at all. Put the one who gets sick in the front seat and tell them to keep their eyes on the far away mountain peaks. Breck and Keystone are short drives off I70. The others are right on the freeway.

All have base areas with lodging. Breck, Vail, and Beaver Creek are actual towns where Keystone and Copper are outside of town. Keystone and Copper have had a lot of development, so there are condos at the base. Vail is expensive, Beaver Creek even more so. Breck is the cheapest of those three, and is a fun town. A number of shops, bars and restaurants. Knowing nothing else, that would be my recommendation of where to start looking.

Steamboat might be a choice, too. You can get flights right in there. Its also a fun town and a fabulous ski area.

No knocks against the ski areas in SW colorado. I've just never been to any of them.