We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Chili Pork

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,975 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Green Chili Pork

We're coming on our first Colorado trip next week and I'm trying to decide if I should try Green Chili Pork? It seems to be on many menus served in bowls or as topping for burritos or even eggs. I'm tempted, but I don't do well with really hot and spicy things- I'm more into tomatillos than jalapenos. So, how spicy is it, and if a newcomer were to try it for the first time, would it be best to start with having it over eggs- or is likely to be milder in some places than others?

Any other dishes that I should try- I love lamb and am looking for unusual ways of sampling it. We'll be primarily in the Salida area and also in Denver.

Thanks!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green Chili Pork

You are right - green chili is HOT. It's an acquired taste. It is primarily served as a topping for burritos or as a side or starter dish. If you don't like hot, spicy dishes, I'm afraid it's not for you. But, if you're in a family-style restaurant, I'll bet they'll give you a small sample if you ask for it. I used to work with a woman who made an old family recipe for green chili and she'd bring a crockpot into work sometimes to share with the office. You should have seen the guys break out into a sweat eating it - but they loved it! Red chili is a similar recipe, but not as flaming hot, and it's usually the other choice in restaurants as a topping. It is not like chili with beans and hamburger that you may be used to. It's a lot less thick and certainly not tomato-y. But it's what we eat out here and as a transplanted gringo, I love it!

Lamb is a great dish here because there are a lot of sheep in Colorado. I usually see lamb loin chops on menus here. Sometimes restaurants will serve grilled lamb chops with different sauces, but I don't recall any unusual presentations that I can recommend. It is one of my favorite dishes, so if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend it.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Green Chili Pork

It definately varies from place to place. Some places are HOT HOT HOT and others are "that was supposed to be spicy?" I would definately reccomend trying it at a place that says it's not hot. Many places offer several types of green chili, varying in hotness only. If the menu doesn't warn you about the hotness, just ask the server and tell them you want the flavor but not the hotness. You'll probably have more options for tasting it around Denver over different foods, but I think over a burrito is the best.

Hacienda Colorado is quite popular here and a little unique. Go for lunch for both better prices and smaller waittimes.

http://www.haciendacolorado.com/

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,975 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green Chili Pork

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Hacienda's menu and see they have both medium and mild green chili, so I may try it there- everything else sounds good too! I can't really figure out which of there three locations would be easiest to find when driving either from or to Denver airport to Salida. Any ideas if any of the three locations would be easieat to find?

Thanks for the help! I am so excited to be coming !

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green Chili Pork

Green chili is normally synomous with HOT, so I totally forgot that restaurants do serve medium or mild green chili - I think I love the hot stuff so much, I forgot that there's any other kind! I live two minutes away from the Hacienda in Lakewood on Wadsworth and it is an outstanding Mexican restaurant in a town filled with them!

What route are you taking to Salida? There's a Hacienda right off I-25 at the Lincoln exit if you're going through Colorado Springs, or the one on Wadsworth is convenient if you're going via Hwy 285 through Fairplay and South Park. I suspect you're going via I-25, so map the Hacienda in Englewood (Bierstadt Way). It's hardly a two minute detour off the highway, perfect for you!

Can't wait to hear reports of all your adventures!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,975 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green Chili Pork

Englewood it is! Thanks! will try to write a report when I get back- appreciate all the advice!