We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Urgh....was planning on renting an SUV 2/23 - 2/28 and prices are super high ie; $150+ per day.

NO way so thinking of a car but how will it handle driving from Denver - Breck - Vail - Denver?

I remember March 2010 flipping out then finding great deals the week of.

any advice?? (bus is not an option, I get VERY car sick so need the control of driving)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,179 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Have you looked on kayak.com or hotwire.com? I have had good luck with them before.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

this is dated but still valid info

tripadvisor.com/…21134625

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k49355…

Edited: 31 January 2013, 21:35
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,179 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Wow, just checked those and rates are high, lowest I found was $112 day. (for SUV)

Another tip to try ~ I have sometimes found that if I check rates rather late at night (say....11pm) I find lower prices than I found during the day. I have no idea why and it is not always this way, but I have sometimes gotten a much better rate that way.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,132 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

"thinking of a car but how will it handle driving from Denver - Breck - Vail - Denver?"

Better than an SUV in almost all conditions and almost as good in the worst of conditions. I see no point in renting an SUV if safety is your only concern.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

You really don't need an SUV, a front wheel drive car and common sense will usually be more than enough.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,201 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

I work in the ski business and fly into Denver frequently to drive up into the mountains. I never rent an SUV. Just get a front wheel drive car, and most are. Use general caution. If it's a raging blizzard, an SUV isn't necessarily going to be any better.

Denver rental prices vary widely. I paid $17 at Avis for a one-day rental one week in December and $45-50 for the exact same car and day of the week two weeks later. Do shop around. Also check off airport locations. While I don't hassle with that, there are off-airport options near the old Stapleton that may save you money.

Good luck.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Try Avis at DoubleTree. Shuttle from airport and you can return car to airport on return no extra fee.

http://denver.avis.com/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,277 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

We've always felt comfortable with FWD, never needed an SUV.

We've had good luck using Priceline for car rentals in Denver.

shrewsbury
Level Contributor
27 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

I did Priceline and named my bid. Took me about 3 weeks to get my price. I found the closer to the date, the cheaper the prices got. I got an SUV for 475 for 6 days. We are a family of 5, so we need the space. But I agree, a car is completely fine. Good luck. We leave tomorrow, but had great snow!

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SUV Rental Price- Just Fainted

Thanks for the feedback...I will go with a car. I just never drive cars so a little "nervous" but since I drive in rough conditions here in the East all the time, think I can handle it.

In 2008 I was stuck on the Vail Pass for a few hours...cars were off the road everywhere. Just hoping nothing crazy like that this trip :)