We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

Hi there, we have been to SBS two years running and LOVE it. We are looking for a new adventure however and are finding it hard to beat Steamboat !! For a start they have had more snow than the nearby resorts at the same time of year. The accom. options (with relation to condos - self-contained, spacious) are fabulous and we stay for a mth so being able to go to the local supermarket and buy supplies has been super handy. The town has a free bus service as did our condo accommodation. All of these things are important to us and I am not finding a lot out there which can beat it. Anyone out there able to impress me enough to go somewhere else ??

Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam Helicopter...
579 Reviews
from US$369.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Lake Mead Luxury...
364 Reviews
from US$299.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Flight, Colorado...
124 Reviews
from US$469.99*
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
188 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

How about Telluride and Mountain Village? Wide variety of lodging, local grocery stores, lots of restaurants, etc Tends to get their best snow in Feb and March. Telluride has been there over 100 years, mining town long before skiing was the attraction. Mountain Village is a planned community that revolves around the skiing. The 2 are connected by a free gondola, making it very easy to go between them for meals, apres ski, etc.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 13:36
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,782 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

We're spending this month in Frisco--we like it for the convenience of being able to get to multiple ski hills. Copper Mtn, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, Vail, and Beaver Creek are within 40 minutes.

The Summit Stage provides transportation to all but Vail & BC.

There's a Safeway in Frisco, and a City Market less than 10 minutes away in Dillon.

Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

Your description and criteria would lead me to suggest Crested Butte.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

Consider an Aussie favorite, Aspen. Check package deals thru

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

Thanks for the prompt feedback ! We are really limited to January so the snow conditions in Colorado are always going to be variable and it seems ironically to snow the day we leave...

Aspen is too schmoozy for my liking. I loved the down to earth nature of SBS. Perhaps Telluride or Breck may be my other options.

6. Re: Great family ski resort (January) NOT Steamboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 07:15
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question