We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

I would like to ride down to Leadville, Arapahoe Basin, or Loveland for the day but really considering Cooper and staying a night in Leadville before skiing going to Keystone or Steamboat for a few days! Cheap warm up day, at a new place!

I have read great reports from each place from pleased parents? One lady said she could seat in the lodge and watch the kids, another guy said that the best instructors go to A basin to retire.

Also, what is great place to eat around Cooper or up around Georgetown, maybe bbq?

What do you know about these ski schools? Thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

The only lesson I have taken at Leadville I was probably as skilled as the instructor, though I was taking a higher level clinic. I am sure they are great for beginners. Same for everyplace you mentioned.

Really it depends on how much you want to change lodging locations and the terrain you want to ski. Cooper is a pretty easy mountain. I don't think you are going to find great eats in Leadville or Georgetown, just my 02.

Between Loveland and A-Basin over all I prefer the skiing at Loveland but a warm sunny spring day with live music at the Basin is a fun, fun day. For lessons I'd give the nod to A-Basin only because you mentioned being close enough to watch the kiddos.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

It sounds like you do mean Cooper in Leadville - but there is also Copper Mountain just past Frisco, on the road to Leadville. Just want to make sure you are not confusing them.

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

1FourFun - years ago I bought a Cooper lift ticket online, and when it arrived in the mail I put it together, so yeah I am talking about Leadville. I have wanted to check it out since then! But I love Copper, there is not a major difference in the price of ski school at Copper compared to Keystone thats why I asked about Cooper AND I have never been to Leadville.

Alli - I thought I would get another ski day and save a couple of bucks, I am waffling between steamboat and keystone for the week, but thinking about a quick day away before I settle in to K or S. A new friend told me to see where it was snowing and go there. NOW both are covered up, man I am good luck! haha

Do either of you know another way to ski for less with kids at Keystone, Copper, or Steamboat? I would save about $120 on a day on the lessons. Steamboat is cheap with the Spring deal, but my condo is more. Well, I ain't complaining just trying to make budget and make this as convenient on my wife as I can so we can go back!!! Maybe that should be a forum question.

Thanks again!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

I'd check Keystone to see if they have any lodging deals. Kids ski free with 2 nights lodging, must be booked through central res. A couple of caveats. It really does not save you much if you are going to put them in a lesson. The lift ticket for kids lessons is only 12.00 plus Keystone adds on a 25.00 resort fee. To me it is only a good deal if they already know how to ski.

One thing to think about is they have a little learning hill at Frisco. It is only a learning hill to get your ski legs under you. They often run specials too you might give them a shout on Monday to see if they know any coupons out there.

townoffrisco.com/adventure-park/…

Copper has a deal page

coppercolorado.com/winter/plan_and_buy/deals

I will throw out something else you can buy a season pass for next season at A-Basin and use it for the remainder of this year. Shoot you could come out a couple more times yet this season. I saw a 2 bedroom on CL for 100.00 a night. Maybe ski in the AM and Golf in the afternoon!

arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/…default.aspx

2013/14 A-Basin Season Passes

2013/14 Adult (ages 19+) A-Basin Season Pass - $269

2013/14 Youth (ages 15-18 years) A-Basin Season Pass - $199

2013/14 Child (ages 6-14 years) A-Basin Season Pass - $139

Unlimited, unrestricted access to A-Basin for the entire 2013/14 season

Unlimited skiing or riding for the rest of the 2012/13 season (if paid in full)

One 50% discount on an A-Basin class lesson during the 2013/14 A-Basin Snowsports School season

10% off Food and Beverage (excluding the 6th Alley Bar)

10% off retail at Arapahoe Sports

Discounted tickets for friends and family

$10 off performance tune (valid all season)

A-Basin Charge is valid on these passes

All A-Basin passes are non-refundable and non-transferable. New - Ski Pass Insurance on all A-Basin pass products available for purchase upon check out

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

Thanks Alli!

I just got a great deal of VRBO!!! Looks like Steamboat this time. Any great pizza to compare with 101 Pizza?

Thanks for all your help!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

When are you going?

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

This week! Finally! Steamboat said I could walk up for lessons this week. It will be hard to pass Loveland with snow falling!

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

My two boys 7 and 5 had an awesome experience in Ski School at Steamboat!

The second day the boys skied with us and did great. They both would have benefited from an additional day, but we really enjoyed skiing with them.

On top of their great time everyone at Steamboat made the Ski School experience super easy. The weather was so nice, no complaining about being cold.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

Great to hear! I'd been wondering how the trip went.

Watkinsville...
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do Cooper, Loveland, A basin ski school compare to bigs

Trip report coming soon! So jealous of all the snow this week!