We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip proposed paln?

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 week trip proposed paln?

My wife and I (late 50's early 60's) are planning a 2 week trip to Colorado this August. I would like to fly into and out of Denver. I want to focus on the southwest part of the state. I am looking for a doable itinerary (driving) that we can drive 3 hours at a time, stay at a nice place for a few days before moving on to the next destination. I was thinking of either making a clockwise loop from Denver going south or a counter-clockwise loop from Denver. (Does it really make a differenc?) We love the small town feel and scenery, a little hiking, tours, etc. I would like to avoid large tourist traps like Aspen, etc.

I want to get to Durango area for sure. What other towns along the way (say 3 hours driving) would you suggest we stop to spend a few days exploring? I was thinking that in 2 weeks we could stay at 4-5 places along the loop. Please help....The more I learn, the more confused I become. Thanks a lot folks

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip proposed paln?

depending on your loop/plan of choice you may choose to incorporate Crested Butte www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com

Lake City:

http://www.lakecity.com/index.php

Glenwood Springs is a good area to explore a bit bigger than Lake City and Crested Butte but if you want to be nearby but not in Glenwood to stay consider: Redstone, CO

http://www.redstonecolorado.com/ Redstone or Glenwood could replace Aspen, Redstone being the small one and Glenwood bigger but not too big (lots to do, very pretty there). It is still classified a small town but is bigger than the other locations I mentioned.

http://www.swcolotravel.org/

Edited: 29 April 2013, 19:53
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip proposed paln?

I love the town of Salida, I best not mention it too often or it too will become a "tourist trap" I will say that most of our mountain towns work hard to get folks aka tourist to come visit.

http://www.salidapalacehotel.com

Temple, Texas
Level Contributor
522 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip proposed paln?

Don't give up on Aspen. I have always loved Aspen. The Maroon Bells are a must see. I have always loved walking through town. Sure, there are tourists and things are pricey but the town and the valley are beautiful.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,496 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip proposed paln?

While Salida is a great town, it doesn't have the scenery of Aspen imho. Maroon Bells is one of the most photographed places in the USA for a reason. I would suggest starting out by acclimating in the Denver area for a day and then heading to Leadville, a town rich in history. It was a silver mining town in the 1800s. Then drive from there over Independence Pass for jaw dropping scenery into Aspen, another historic mining town. That's a day's worth of driving mixed in with some interesting things to see and do. Be sure to go south a few miles of Aspen to an authentic ghost town, Ashcroft. Here's the reviews of Ashcroft on TA (btw, ti's only accessible in summer).

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29141-d26…

While in Aspen, take time to visit the Maroon Bells, go to Redstone, and then go on to Glenwood Springs to soak in the world's largest natural hot springs pool. Beautiful scenery. Then head over to Ouray, another 3 hr. drive from Aspen. A great small town, a small natural hot springs pool (should you decide to go for more swimming/soaking) more of the awesome scenery that makes it the Alps of the USA.

Then head to Durango, ride the train, see Mesa Verde NP, visit the Cortez Cultural Center to see the Native American culture, and shop the trading posts.

From Durango, head back east. You even have time to visit one of my all time favorite cities. Santa Fe, New Mexico. Just over the border from CO but oh, so different. I adore Santa Fe. It's about a 4 hr. drive from Durango to Santa Fe. Gorgeous drive, interesting small towns, and great food.

Head back north to the Great Sand Dunes in CO or to Taos, NM to see a Native American Pueblo (again a very famously photographed place).

I know you'll get so many great ideas - with 2 weeks you'll have lots of time to enjoy western Colorado. A place where lots of people rarely get to but it is well worth it.

5. Re: 2 week trip proposed paln?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:16