We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coorado in 13 days

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
coorado in 13 days

Thanks to the folks who helped me recently. Another question..We will be flying into and out of Denver in August. Want to tour southwest section mainly by car. Looking for non-touristy cities and non-skiing type venues to stop and stay along the way. I have been told to drive to Aspen area (isn't this big, toursity and ski-like?), then to Ouray, then to Durango. That would be the bottom of a loop from Denver. What about towns along the way back up to Denver? Looking for the smaller, more cute type of towns to stay a few days, with sites to see and things to do, explore, etc..then move on to the next destination. Looking around a 3 hour drive, if possible, between destinations. We will be flying home at 10:30 am from Denver so the last day should be spent in Denver. Any areas, hotels I should look into for Denver? Thanks again for all your help.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coorado in 13 days

So as not to duplicate suggestions, here's the link to your previous question:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k64574…

Could you tell me what time your flight arrives? And do you have 13 days to travel or 11 days plus arrival day and departure day? With that information, I'd be glad to take a stab at a day by day itinerary for you.

Much of Colorado is a tourist destination, and the places people want to enjoy tend to be in or near the mountains and thus are near ski areas. In the summertime all those folks are enjoying the outdoors and the scenery. But I think I know what you mean...you don't want to stay in a ski resort comprised mostly of high rise condos and hotels built mainly for the ski trade. Aspen is a small town, and while it has its fair share of pricey hotels, it is in a drop dead gorgeous area, so that's why people have encouraged you not to count it out for your trip. There are lots of options, of course, but I think the previous suggestion was a good one-- go to Leadville ( a historic mining town which is still a mining town...lots of history there but for some reason not usually much of a tourist destination), then Twin Lakes, over Independence Pass to Aspen. You could stay in Carbondale or Redstone, neither of which are ski towns. Redstone is one of my favorites, both historic and picturesque, but I have to say much of its livelihood depends on visitors so I guess it is touristy. No high-rises there, though, unless you count Cleveholm Manor, aka the Redstone Castle.

Since you're headed for SW Colorado, I'd also include Telluride, at least for part of a day, maybe on your way to overnight elsewhere. Yes, another ski resort and tourist destination, but the ski resort is Mountain Village. Telluride is a real town with tons of history, set in a jaw dropping gorgeous place. Just don't go when there's a major festival going on, and mid week will usually be less busy than weekends.

Are you interested in visiting Mesa Verde and riding the Durango-Silverton railroad when visiting Durango? (Durango itself also has a ski resort up the mountain a way, and is most definitely a tourist destination. It is the largest community in SW Colorado, larger than a small town but not really what most people think of as a city, either. Lots to do, though...a great base for visiting the area.)

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: coorado in 13 days

Presume your talking about Colorado, not Coorado. Yes, Aspen, Ouray, Durango are touristy and ski-like. Something close to Denver (which doesn't really answer ur post) that gets away from what you don't want is the Lariat Loop. Info at:

http://www.lariatloop.org/

Other scenic drives info at:

www.coloradodot.info/travel/scenic-byways

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coorado in 13 days

We are arriving in Denver around 9:30-10:00 am on Aug. 10. We are flying out of Denver at 10:30 am on August 23. Any help you can give me would be great

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coorado in 13 days

Yes I was thinking of doing Durango. Bad choice?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coorado in 13 days

Ouray does not even HAVE a ski area, so texranger ~ I feel that you are steering the OP in the wrong direction. Ouray is in the mountains, beautiful location, has natural hot springs. Yes, it does get tourists, nearly EVERY town in Colorado does, especially those in scenic mountain areas. I think it is just the type of town you are looking for. Telluride is another good option to spend a day. Well over 100 years old, started as a thriving mining town, still retains many of it's older buildings. The ski slopes are a recent addition. It is in a gorgeous box canyon, very beautiful surroundings, great hiking, etc.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coorado in 13 days

No, Durango isn't a bad choice at all...well, just depends on what you are looking for! I wanted you to know it is a little larger community than some that have been suggested. And with the train, Mesa Verde nearby, and all the outdoor opportunities, it gets its fair share of visitors. But not what I think of as really "touristy." But what matters for your vacation is what YOUR definition is. In general, the further from the major population centers of Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs, (and the Denver airport, because some people will not have the time or desire to drive more than two or three hours) the less crowded things will be. And even in the most popular places, people who live in or near large cities giggle at us when we talk about things being crowded.

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coorado in 13 days

Thanks a bunch. ANy ideas on areas heading back north from Durango to Denver? Thanks again

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coorado in 13 days

Would Durango to the Salida area be too long of a drive? Is there an area in/near Salida you would advise? On a day trip from Salida heading back to Denver, are their places you might suggest for us to visit? I figure we will drive to Denver and stay 1 night there prior to flhying out the next morning? Again...thanks for your help!!!!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coorado in 13 days

I'd recommend Buena Vista, just north of Salida. It puts you about 2.5 hours from Denver. From there you can take a run up Cottonwood Pass just to the West of Buena Vista.

We stayed in the Vista Court Cabins. They are really nice, the grounds are nice, and they are away from the main drag. http://www.vistacourtcabins.com/

While you are there, eac dinner at Quincy's. The menu is simple - filet mignon Sunday thru Thursday, prime rib Friday and Saturday. Comes with baked potato, garden salad with house dressing. The only decision you have is what to drink and how you want the steak cooked.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33332-d22…

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: coorado in 13 days

Thanks a lot. What is there to do in the Buena Vista Area?