We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

hi all,

So will be travelling around usa and then our last destination I'm going to plan is the snow fields at colorado. can you let me know if the following plan is ok? understand we are going in late november but i'm hoping it still be will ok for snowboarding and not much crowds

25th Nov - Arrive In denver, organise transport from airport to airbnb accommodation in Breckenridge

26 - Breckenridge snowboarding

27 - Breckenridge snowboarding

28 - Breckenridge snowboarding

30 - Keystone? snowboarding

30 - Breckenridge snowboarding

1st Dec - Breckenridge snowboarding

2 - Check out airbnb at Breckenridge, head to Frisco and catch Greyhound to Vail. Check into Evergreen Lodge Vail (it was the cheapest and satisfactory place to stay in vail - no airbnb i couldnt find within vail and in our budget)

3 - Vail snowboarding

4 - Vail snowboarding

5 - Vail snowboarding

6 - Vail snowboarding

7th - Check out of hotel and head to Beavers Creek. I believe there is a bus that we can catch to BC and then we check into airbnb accommodation in Avon.

8 - Beavers Creek snowboarding

9 - Beavers Creek snowboarding

10 - Beavers Creek snowboarding

11 - Beavers Creek snowboarding

12th - Check out of airbnb accom and catch bus back to Vail. Catch the greyhound from Vail to Glenwood Springs and then bus up to Aspen (airbnb accom)

13 - Aspen snowboarding

14 - Aspen snowboarding

15 - Aspen snowboarding

16 - Aspen snowboarding

17 - Aspen snowboarding

18 - Aspen snowboarding

19 - Aspen snowboarding

20th - Check out of airbnb accom and get a bus to Glenwood Springs. Still deciding whether to bus or train back to Denver Airport to fly out to LA. I believe there is a train that arrives at 6:35pm and theres a 10pm flight that we can catch out - do you think this is risking it as the trains might be slow or delayed just in case?

With regards to ski passes, I'll source them from london (where I am atm) which will have unlimited pass at Breckenridge/Vail/Keystone/Beavers Creek and I'll get a 7 day pass for Aspen. I know sounds crazy snowboarding this much but we've started to enjoy here in europe so I'd like to see how the snow fields are (if better or not) and they say colorado is a good area for ski/snowboarding.

Between our stops, we're of course hoping to use a washer and dryer as I don't think I'll be able to go snowboarding in the same clothes for 4 weeksl lol

Looking for your thoughts on the above plan?(and hopefully some shouts of awesome trip planned! hehe)

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

It's early in the season so the issue may be snow coverage. Don't expect resorts to be 100% open so be flexible on where you go to board.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

when you mean by resorts - as in accommodation or the snow mountain itself?

the snow mountains should all be open from November so i'm hoping end of November will be enough for us to do breckenridge firs then hit the other mountains by December.

What is the worst case scenario?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,601 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

Pretty good plan. As you noted, it's early season. You have made a good choice to start at Breck, which is likely to have better early season conditions. SItuation in November is a few runs open. Worst case scenario would be one or two runs but in all likelihood the last week in November you'll have a small selection of runs but nowheres near the entire mountain.

Evergreen is actually a very good spot in Vail. You can walk to Lionshead lifts. Situation that week will usually be better than the week prior. I'm over there every year at that time for World Cup. There's always skiing, but always limited. Still worthwhile.

Plenty of bus access between Vail and Avon. You do know that in Avon that you're not in Beaver Creek. You'll need to take shuttle up to lifts but easy to do. Beaver Creek will generally be pretty decent by that time, still limited but you'll have more riding than you would have in late November.

Aspen would be a great experience, but an expensive one. If you already have an Epic pass, why not just take advantage of that and stay at a Vail Resorts property. If you really want to ride Aspen, your plan is good and you should start to find more of the mountains open by that time in mid-December.

One other idea to consider if you want to go beyond just Vail Resort. Copper/Winter Park offer a similar pass program that would give you some diversity.

The train is a wonderful way to travel. It will still leave you with a bus or taxi ($60) out to the airport. Yes, that train can be delayed. Our experience with it is that it's sometimes late but never that much. But we've only ridden it a few times.

Have fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

Thanks TumbleweedandCactus!

Fingers crossed alot of snow come down in november then :)

Yes I know we'll be in Avon and we will get the shuttless up to the lefts so should be fine.

Yeah with regards to the ski passes, im getting a EPIC LOCAL PASS which will have

Unlimited access to:

-Breckenridge

-Keystone

-Arapahoe Basin

10 restricted days at:

-Vail

-Beaver Creek

this will suit us for when we go as we'll have 4 days each in vail and beaver creek.

Aspen i'll be getting a pass which will be for 7 days so we'll have access to the 4 mountains - the question is, which mountain will be the one we'll like most - i was thinking one day in each one and the 2 we like we go back again but then thats rushing it maybe

Thanks for the idea around Copper/Winter Park - i think the only issue with this would be because of the pass we're getting, this isn't included so just sticking with the mountains we have.

I think the destinations we have also is based on our transport plans as we won't have a car and we'll be doing bus most of the time, want to spend less time on that and more time on the slopers

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

We don't like changing lodging so much. We stayed in Frisco and skied Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail, Copper and Beaver Creek from there. Copper was closest at 10 minutes away and BC farthest at 40 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

From Frisco though did you have your own/rental car? As we're not planning on getting one - don't want to worry about driving on the roads during that time so yeah

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

We did have our own car because we were in Frisco for 6 weeks. The drive from Frisco to the ski hills is very easy--Copper, Vail, and BC are on I-70, Breck is on Hyw 9, to Keystone we went on Hwy 6. No curvy mountain roads.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

Hopefully you get lucky and the snows come in early. Last year was a pretty slow start with mostly manmade strips at most areas. Keystone had the most area open (manmade) because of all the ski teams training there. 2 or 3 good snow falls can make all the difference between a few strips to ride on, or.. a full mountain, top to bottom experience. I'll root hard for the early snow falls. Good luck mate!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,049 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

I think you meant Copper, not Keystone. :) US Ski Team trains @ Copper (Nov. 1- Dec. 10). Snowmaking began October 2 2012.

Anyway, always hoping for early season snow!

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snowboard itinerary over Nov/Dec 2013 - thoughts?

What?!? No STEAMBOAT...?!? LOL

Wish your itinerary included time that-a-way but can see it would be tricky for you to get over there...

Sounds like an awesome trip!