We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shower and camping

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shower and camping

Hi, I'm planning a 2-week long camping trip visiting different national parks/monuments/historic sites in Colorado next summer (in 2014) ... and I noticed that a lot of NPS campgrounds do not have shower facility. Do you know where we can get refreshed on our way after a day-long hiking?

I'm thinking of visiting the following parks:

1. Rocky Mountain NP

2. Great Sand Dune NP

3. Mesa Verde NP

4. Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP

5. Colorado NM

6. Dinosaur NM

Thanks so much!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shower and camping

We are heading out to Colorado for a similar type of trip in a week. I can not answer your questions specifically BUT a friend of mine who lives in Crested Butte said there are 'recreation centers' all over the place -- and you can pay approx. $7. and use the facilities -- ie: pool, showers, fitness rooms, etc.

We are planning on utilizing this option.

Lastly, some of the resorts will also charge a day fee ~$10. to use their grounds/fitness/pools/showers. I know for certain Keystone Resort does this (I would imagine others do as well). Adds an element of luxury to a camping trip.

Have a great time.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shower and camping

Here is one of the recreation centers I mentioned. This one is located in Silverthorne, Colorado.

www.silverthorne.org/index.aspx?page=120

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shower and camping

For RMNP, Dad's Laundry and Public Showers in Stanley Village next to the Safeway Grocery in Estes Park is the preferred location for the east side of RMNP. If camping or hiking on the west side, Winding River Resort near the Grand Lake entrance to RMNP offers public showers.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shower and camping

Yes, Rec Centers are a great option.

When you visit Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Montrose is the closest town. The Rec District runs an Aquatic Center and you can use just the showers for $3 or the whole facilities (including showers) for $5.

The Aquatic Center is located at 25 Colorado Ave in Montrose (kinda of behind the High School fields). They are open 7 days/week.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shower and camping

And when you visit Mesa Verde, Cortez is the closest town. They have both an indoor Recreation Center (425 Roger Smith Ave) and an outdoor Aquatic Center a block away. They charge $4.50 to use the Rec Center and it's open 7 days /week.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shower and camping

Thank you everyone - this is amazingly helpful! Please keep them coming! I'm taking notes ....

What about Great Sand Dune? This place sounds hot and sandy, and it sounds like we can definitely use a shower.

One more place is Dinosaur NM ...

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shower and camping

For Colorado NM, the west end is near Fruita, CO. Fruita has a new rec center too. Don't have their info handy -- but I believe it's run by their city parks & rec.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shower and camping

Yes, Rec Center is run by city of Fruita.

As far as Dinosaur Nm, depending on where you will be camping, Vernal, UT will be closest town. Unless someone else would have a different idea.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shower and camping

KOA campgrounds will often let you purchase a shower. A friend of ours camps often near Cortez and uses the KOA there just for showers.

Near the Sand Dunes, check out: http://www.sanddunespool.com/accommodations

And if I remember correctly, there's an outdoor unheated shower at the Great Sand Dunes (like you often see at a beach) so that visitors can wash off a little sand.

Lol, I wouldn't say there are recreation centers "all over the place" but many of the towns have one.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 15:39
Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Shower and camping

Thanks for the great information. I will check out a map of KOAs in Colorado before I leave!