We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra day: Glenwood Springs or Ouray?

Westborough...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Extra day: Glenwood Springs or Ouray?

I am trying to fine tune my itinerary, and for now we are planning to spend 3 days in Glenwood Springs (1/2 day rafting, Adventure Park, possibly Hot Springs pool). We are also spending 1 or 2 days in Ouray. As it stands right now, it can be either 2 days in Glenwood Springs and 1 day in Ouray, or 1 day in Glenwood Spripngs and 2 days in Ouray.

Which option would you pick? I should point out that we are already planning to go to Black Canyon, Telluride, and Durango.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,140 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra day: Glenwood Springs or Ouray?

To me one day in Glenwood is plenty.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra day: Glenwood Springs or Ouray?

Glenwood is at a lower elevation and will likely be hotter at the time of your visit, so I'd lean toward another day in Ouray. I prefer the Ouray hot springs pool, but that's just personal preference. However, Glenwood also makes a good base for exploring Aspen and Redstone (and you could visit the hot pools at Avalanche Ranch), so that's a good argument for another night in Glenwood. This is a tossup. Flip a coin! Or make the decision based upon what you'd like to do or see on that second day. Go to the swim beach at Ridgway State Park? Take a jeep tour? Drive to Silverton, explore Ironton ghost town, take a mine tour, try some canyoneering with San Juan Mountain Guides? mtnguide.net/canyoneering/… Or just chill out in a small, picturesque, historic community? Point goes to Ouray. Want to explore the Aspen area or hike to Maroon Bells? See some classes or activities in Aspen you'd like to do? Visit Redstone or maybe you'd like to honor firefighters and hike the Storm King Fourteen Memorial Trail? (early in the morning, though...it'll be hot!) Point goes to Glenwood. There are no bad decisions here!

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Redstone
Redstone
Colorado
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
3. Re: Extra day: Glenwood Springs or Ouray?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:17