We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motorcycle touring/camping

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
motorcycle touring/camping

Heading to colorado sep 9 for 9-10-11 days from southern indiana riding a motorcycle, pulling a trailer full of camping gear, wanting to camp most nights but will probably stay in motel a few nights, any suggestions of nice clean motels (under 100.00) or great campgrounds (primitive) for the most part with great scenery and trout fishing. Any itenerary help would be greatly appreciated. I want to do million dollar hiway, independence pass, see aspen,telluride,ouray,leadville, breckenridge and work my way up to rocky mountain national park then head back from there. Any help would be very helpful in my planning of this once in a life time adventure. Thank You Robin

Georgetown TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Even though I’m from Texas, I’ll chime in and try to help. We go to Colorado every year and tent camp for two weeks. I can’t help with motel suggestions. All of these are ‘car camping’ sites (vs. hike in) so you should be able to get right to them depending on type of bike. An exception are the Lincoln Gulch campsites just south of Aspen, it is kind of rough. Most of the spots you will have to travel a short ways on gravel to get to. On the link below, I have saved many spots, so you can zoom in close and see the exact location of the campsites. There are a few notes for each, just click on them. We have stayed at most of them (I always scout out these places when I am there), and most are very close to water. Not all will be good/great for fishing. September is late in the season (snowmelt/runoff) so the creeks/rivers may be low. Most of the towns nearby the camping areas have sportsman stores and the staff can help you locate the best fishing spots.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Edited: 25 July 2013, 21:25
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Thank You outdoor texan I've got the info you gave me printed up and will no doubt use it on my trip im riding a 1800 wing, riding solo, last year rode to booth bay harbor maine up thru new york, vermont, new hampshire had a great time, met great people, hoping to do the same out west. thanks again

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Coming from the east which route will you take? I think it would be fun to take US Highway 50, the longest hwy in the US. Otherwise you could to Interstate through Kansas and drop down to Hwy 160 and use this as entry point to Colorado. From there you can go west on 160 to Trinidad where you can either backtrack up I-25 to Walsenburg and catch the 160 there or you could hwy 12 over to Weston,Cuchara area and then hit 160 from there. hwy 12 is a beautiful bike ride (Colorado bi-way). Anyway once back on 160 to Alamosa,up and over La Veta Pass..to Monte Vista and on into Durango. From Durango then up The Million $ Highway up to Siverton and Ouray. You are now in the Uncompahgre Nat'l Forest..and what we call the Swiss Alps of Colorado...to die for views. Then North to Montrose, Delta, amazing .. back on Hwy 50..into Grand Junction. When you hit Montrose you could opt to see Gunnison Canyon. Once in Grand Junction then east on I-70 to Glenwood Springs, Aspen. Geez I could go on.. We ride a Harley and just got back from a 3200 mile road trip to Canada.. From Breckenridge the cut-off to Hwy 9 over Hoosier Pass is awesome and back over on 9 to Woodland Park into Colo Springs is a nice ride also. Hope this gives you some idea's..get your map out!.. ..Sandi

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Thanks Sandiw was still unsure of route into colorado, was thinking about hiway 24 down into colorado springs but I like the hiway 160 idea. I have your itenerary hi lighted on my map, this is exactly what I am looking for people that actually been on these roads and seen the beautiful scenery. Is crested butte area worth a detour for the day or telluride? Thanks again for your reply

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Crested Butte is well worth the detour beautiful and if you are adventures you could go north from Grand Junction on hwy 139 up and over Douglas Pass and then to Steamboat..Douglas pass is awesome! Oh and Crested Butte is really not too far for a detour.

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Oh and BTW the hiway on 160 is commonly called "The Highway of Legends"

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
473 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Also Robin..check this out: motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Colorado_81.html for a very nice web-site of all of Colorado Scenic Bi-ways!

Georgetown TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

I am envious of your trip! Looks like a lot of fun. This link may have some useful info for you. It has a good description of roads, bike accessible campsites and motels.

http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/index.html

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

Thanks guys for all the great info, I'm suckin it up this is part of the fun of taking a trip, if you think of anything else keep it coming. Thanks Alot Robin

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
89 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: motorcycle touring/camping

If the idea is to see Colorado, I would run the I70 west to Denver, come down to Leadville, peel off the Interstate there and run the 24 back way to Aspen through Twin Lakes, over independence pass, down through Aspen, turn at Carbondale and run 133 the back road through to Red Stone Colorado. There is primitive camping along the hwy to Redstone. The Crystal River fishes well. Caddis and Dunns. Also green and blue wing olives. Run the 133 to Paonia State Park, take the 12 cut off to Crested Butte. It is a dirt road but well cared for. (I ride my HD Fatboy Lo two up on it all the time, and the FLSTFB is not known for its dual sport ability if you know what I mean.) Bring the 135 out of Crested Butte down into Gunnison come west on US 50 til you hit 149... run the 149 to Lake City. Camping everywhere in Lake City.... fish everywhere. River, lakes... yadda yadda yadda.... Run the 149 to South Fork pick up the 160 and run that to pogasa springs.... keep on it til you get to Durango. Pick up the 550 in Durango run the million dollar highway to Ouray.... from Ouray run out to Ridgway pick up 62 in Ridgway and run it to the 145 take that towards Naturita CO Camping all along the 141 (145 runs into 141) towards Gateway. Then run the 141 to I 70 west, Grab the 139 up over Douglas Pass to Rangely. Run the 40 the east to 34. Run the 34 up through Rocky Mountain National Park into Estes park. Camping up in the canyon outside of Estes Park.

Head home and order tires for next year when I can send you to see the rest of the state.

I have road this myself in 7 days. But I like the saddle. On a wing 1800 you could probably do it in 5 so that should give you some stop time for fishing and such.

If you are going to do it, let me know I am always up for melting tire rubber off the Fatboy!