We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Hello--

I apologize if I should've posted this in a more specific forum. I have reservations at a cabin in the Rollinsville area next week and am seeking information and advice from Colorado experts.

I've been reading about all of the horrible flooding and am so concerned for everyone--I've never been through such an event myself but have helped with cleanup after one, and I can only imagine that it will be a long time before people's lives get back to something like normal. I know things can change a lot in a week, and for the sake of everyone who is dealing with such stress and danger, I hope they do! But I wanted to seek the advice of the experts now, in case I should be changing my plans.

I read that the state DOT is recommending that people avoid non-essential travel in several counties, including Gilpin, which is where I'd be. I do not want to be part of the problem, driving around cluelessly and getting in the way! And selfishly, I'd also like to be somewhere where it's not too hard to get around in a rental car, do some hiking, shop for groceries, etc. I was hoping to check out Boulder, visit RMNP, and do some hiking in the area. I know RMNP is closed and Boulder is having terrible trouble, but I am not sure what to expect around Rollinsville itself. I've already paid in full for the cabin rental, but perhaps the owner would consider a partial refund if it's truly a bad time for tourists to be in the area.

If it seems like things will probably be ok, I'd also love to hear any suggestions about easy-moderate hikes with trailheads that can be accessed in a mid-sized rental car.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Thanks. We've never been through anything like this either!

You should be fine up here, the Peak to Peak hwy is open from US6 north to Hwy 7. It was closed a few days ago near Rollinsville but has since reopened. I have not heard of any problems in Black Hawk or Central City. As far as I know, they are open for business.

I have no idea what the situation will be in Boulder a week from now. As of today, there is no access to Boulder from any of the mountain canyon roads and there may not be for days. The Peak to Peak is our only way out.

You can access great hiking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness or from the Hessie Trailhead. Hopefully all of the rain hasn't washed out our fall foliage.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 17:02
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Thank you so much, Babalax! That's very reassuring.

Yikes--only one way out--I hope that changes for you very soon and that the rest of the year is safe and peaceful. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my message--Tripadvisor folks are always so kind.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

I called the Stage Stop in Rollinsville and all is well there, they are open for business.

The weather pattern is drying out next week so whatever muddy conditions there may be on trails today, they should be in good shape by then.

There are good hikes from Rollinsville/Tolland Road:

www.protrails.com/trail-search/results…

Also, head up the road toward Nederland and go on some of the wonderful hikes we have in this area: www.protrails.com/trail-search/results…

Another half hour from Nederland is the Brainard Lake Recreation area - more great hiking there:

www.protrails.com/trail-search/results…

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Thank you Squeakycats (love your screen name).

It would not be unusual at this time of year to have snow, and the past few years we experienced fires and extreme fire danger. But 7 days of rain is unheard of!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope you proceed with your trip and enjoy this beautiful part of Colorado.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

Thank you so much for the trail recommendations and for checking with the Stage Stop. I have happened randomly onto various pages on the ProTrails site but somehow never thought to do these searches--it'll be fun to click around and start making some choices. I'm definitely going to go for it!

Last year my husband and I visited Crested Butte...right around the time of all the fires (not in CB itself, but we drove by some very scorched forest). We were there for the wildflower festival, and everyone on the group hikes was grumbling about how it was a terrible year for flowers because of the drought. It'll be strange to see the other extreme. I guess I should hold off on planning to visit in the winter, in case I'm somehow bringing bad weather luck to your beautiful state! The squeaky cats would just as soon have me stay here and spoil them.

Again, thanks so much for your help--I'm very excited about seeing the mountains in the fall and will hope that things improve rapidly for everyone who is being affected by the crazy rainfall.

6. Re: Nederland/Rollinsville area, Sept. 23-27--seeking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:18