We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Lisle, IL
6 posts
Save Topic
CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Hi doing a classic road trip 2 week road trip from Chicago. Taking my 2 senior parents so general sightseeing/scenic overlooks/light walking/shopping. No big mountain hikes this trip. How does this look?

Sunday Sept 29--denver zoo and downtown denver

Monday--drive to salida via 24/leadville

Tuesday--to colorado springs via canyon city/sightsee colorado springs

Wednesday--to taos

thursday--santa fe

friday/sat--abq balloon fiesta

Sun--head back towards Illinois

I'd like to extend an extra day to the colorado loop instead of santa fe. Any suggestions for extending the CO route?

Thanks,

Andy

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Are you flying into Denver and beginning there? Are you driving from Chicago? Denver to Albuquerque and back is a very long distance to cover in the time that you are allowing. I realize you are not doing it all in one single drive, but you are talking over 20 hours of driving time (one way, without allowing for stops) taking the route that you mention. There are some beautiful areas of SW Colorado that you could visit. You might want to consider adding areas in that part of the state and dropping the NM portion of the trip, unless that is just not possible for you.

Areas to consider...

www.visittelluride.com

www.telluridemuseum.org

www.OurayColorado.com

www.RidgwayColorado.com

www.visitmontrose.com

www.SilvertonColorado.com

www.mesaverde.com

www.mountainwestmuseum.com

Edited: 20 September 2013, 05:12
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Sorry, typo on my part ~ over "10 hours".......

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Wow, you are really covering a lot of territory and yet, really not seeing anything. Downtown Denver on Sunday is pretty dead, the zoo is a lot of walking. Leadville is an historic mining town with some really interesting museums and things to do, worth the time to stay around a little. One day in CO Spgs? There's enough there for many days. So, I would add a day to one of those two places, imho. However, Santa Fe is actually one of my favorite cities.

Going further west would be too much driving in your short time frame. But do come back to CO and visit those wonderful places endo has mentioned.

I love the Alb. Balloon Festival. Nothing else is like it. The sky full of gorgeous balloons. The night glow is worth the effort (I know, you have to get up early and it seems like a lot of extra effort but sooo gorgeous). Hope you have a great time.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

Maybe skip zoo so you could enjoy more of the scenic areas because of the preference of light walking. For scenic overlooks, drive over Loveland pass and be sure not to miss Dillon lake on way to leadville. Right pass Leadville is Twin lakes which is absolutely breathtaking. Both are just off main road you will be traveling, so don't miss. I agree with previous post, alot of driving and not seeing much. Perhaps rearrange schedule and go on to gunnison to montrose from leadville, drive down Million Dollar Hwy to Durango rather than Colorado Spring. CO Springs which has lots to do but doesnt sound like its the kind of stuff you want. Of course that would bypass alot of your itinerary. But for "Scenic general sightseeing/scenic overlooks/light walking/shopping. No big mountain hikes this trip", I think it would be worth rearranging it a bit. You also dont have to go west to do this, there are sooo many other scenic routes in CO.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,626 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

I wouldn't go west to Leadville/Salida only to go back east to Colorado Springs and then south from there. There isn't much great scenery from Colorado Springs through Pueblo. If you want to go to Leadville then down the Collegiate Peaks Byway, a very scenic route, then consider heading south from there to Taos, etc. That's a prettier drive, IMO. If you really want to include Colorado Springs, then skip Denver and head there first, then west to Salida or Buena Vista. Add your night there and you could use that full day to drive to Twin Lakes, Leadville, Breckenridge...see some fall colors, St. Elmo ghost town... Then head south for a quick visit to the Great Sand Dunes (or at least a drive by) before going to Taos.

Which route are you taking back? If you go through Oklahoma City to Tulsa and on to St. Louis, there should be some pretty fall colors along that route by then, especially from Tulsa onward...lots of bright red sumac along the roadsides!

Have you discovered the Road Trip forum? That would be another good place to get comments on your overall itinerary.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

The focus of your trip seems to be the Balloon Festival (one everybody should experience, imho) and the trip to CO is just the icing on the cake. I agree the Collegiate Peaks are a great view and won't take you out of your way.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 16:05
7. Re: CO and NM roadtrip itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:20