We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Yellowknife
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

We are a family visiting a family that just moved to Colorado Springs. We will be in Colorado for 4 weeks starting Feb 15. We would like to go skiing for a week while we are visiting. None of us have skiied in Colorado before. There are 2 - 18 yr olds and 4 - 50 yr olds. One adult will not ski, one teen and one adult are intermediate and the others are strong skiiers but not expert (no cliffs). I'm wondering on thoughts from people who are familiar with the skiing in the area regarding where to ski. Skiing would be the primary attraction unless there is another fun family activity in the area that we could do like tubing, guided hike, bon fire etc. We thought it would be fun to stay in one hotel/condo and ski a different resort every other day or should we stay in one place for 3/4 nights and then switch to another place again for 3/4 nights. We thought we should avoid Presidents day weekend and I heard March was also busy which would leave us with Feb 18 to March 1. Any suggestions on which resorts would be best for our group? Where we should stay? one place or two?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

How many days are you going to ski 6+? I'd look at the season passes

snow.com/planavacation/season-pass-explorer.…

I'd plant myself in Frisco near the historic Main Street. Lots to do, plus the Free bus system in case others want to go out on there own. Check out VRBO

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Just chiming in to second Alli's suggestion. With the Local's EPIC pass you will have lots of places to ski - A-basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail, Beaver Creek. www.EPICPASS.com

So many people come on to the forum after the passes are done being sold and complain about the extreme prices for lift tickets. By planning ahead, you now have a great opportunity to buy a pass, get 'em before its gone!

Yellowknife
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Frisco sounds perfect and I had no idea about the season tickets another great idea. Thanks again

Yellowknife
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Thank you 1FourFun. Is there a similar pass for Copper Mountain?

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Yes - there are currently 4-packs available for $149 or you can get a pass and use it at Copper/Winter Park/MJ and Steamboat Springs. However those four are a bit spread out. coppercolorado.com/winter/…season_passes

The Vail Resort Passes are really the best bang for your buck to ski multiple local mountains.

Yellowknife
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Do you have any comments regarding the dates I'm looking at for skiing? Should I avoid the weekends? or will it be equally busy weekdays and weekends at that time of year?

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

Not as busy on those weekends. If you get a 4 day copper pass, plan to go to Copper on the weekends as it will be less crowded.

Or head to Vail...Vail is sooo big that it is hard to have the crowded feel.

Matt

8. Re: Looking for suggestions regarding skiing in Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 05:17