We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rocky mountain NP

Uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
rocky mountain NP

I read such conflicting views about the Rocky Mountain NP, from "awesome" to "disappointing and overcrowded". I will be in that area in mid june 2014. Can anyone tell me their experience of it at that time of year please ?

Many thanks !

Mentioned in this post
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,743 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rocky mountain NP

Rocky Mountain National Park is no more crowded than any other popular national park in the United States in peak season. It is usually less crowded than Yellowstone and Yosemite. The largest numbers of visitors come during the months of July and September. "Disappointing and overcrowded" are not words people usually use to describe RMNP. That is a very rare (and absurd in my opinion) reaction. Maybe you should look at reviews for Trail Ridge Road considered the crown jewel of RMNP or look at other reviews here on TA for things to do in RMNP.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60945-d19…

There are many trip reports for RMNP. You can go to the RMNP forum and scan the topics for trip reports.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143048-i3489-Rock…

I visit RMNP in almost every month of the year since I live within an hour. I was there with family visiting from out of state in mid-June this year and again in mid-July. Mid-June was not crowded at all. When we drove Trail Ridge Road over to Grand Lake, there were no more than 10 cars at any parking lot overlook. One evening we went to the Upper Beaver Meadows picnic area to watch deer and elk and we were the only people there. We saw numerous elk, 12 moose, deer, a bobcat, several bighorn sheep, marmots, wild turkeys and many other little critters during our time in RMNP.

You will see people comment about the crowds in the town of Estes Park during peak season. Between about June 20 and August 20, Estes Park (which is literally adjacent to RMNP) can be really busy. The town only has 6000 residents but that swells dramatically with tourists. Those of us who know better, eat breakfast early and head to RMNP early to avoid the crowds if visiting during peak season. When hiking, you need to get an early start to avoid afternoon thundershowers during the summer. Grab a picnic lunch in town to eat during the day. Eat dinner by 5:00 pm and then head back to RMNP for evening wildlife viewing or a ranger program. With this routine, you don't have to deal with crowds in Estes Park.

You will NOT be disappointed with a visit to RMNP in mid-June and you will be visiting before the real crowds get there.

Mentioned in this post
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,934 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
United States
United States
North America
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rocky mountain NP

I am confounded that anyone would say RMNP was "disappointing and overcrowded"! (smacks head in disbelief) I have been to Yellowstone and Yosemite in the summer and they are far more crowded than I have ever seen RMNP. We love to visit the park ANY time of year and have for more than 30 years.

FV always gives excellent information and advice, definitely heed her suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
florida
Level Contributor
459 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rocky mountain NP

This past summer, I was in Estes June 12-19; July 3-13; July 28-Aug 3, Aug 17-Sept 8.

Is that a fair enough sample size? I think RMNP gets like 2.5-3 million visitors annually, so I'm thinking out loud, when I suspect "awesome" might have something to do with it's attraction. Do that many people create crowds? Of course, just like Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone, etc. Trail head parking lots fills up, but out on the trails, picnic spots, fishing areas, etc, you are never "over crowded". Sure, you might have to wait for a table at a restaurant, just like your home town on a Saturday night, but it's a small price to pay - and a price easily offset by opportunity to grill on your own deck at the place you stay, which is common, and a fantastic way to enjoy more serenity. Whoever termed RMNP disappointing probably suffered some brain trauma before posting that.

Great place, great people.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
398 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rocky mountain NP

Ha! I had heard similar comments when we went to Alaska. "Don't go to Denali Natl Park...you have to ride a bus," etc. But we went anyway and it was a highlight of our trip. RMNP would be a disappointment only if you don't like mountains and wildlife, IMO.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rocky mountain NP

my 02 "awesome" probably referred to the park itself and "disappointing and overcrowded" may refer to the town. I myself am guilty of saying Estes Park when I really mean the Park as in RMNP. Estes, like other towns in the state can get really crowded on weekends during peak season. If I were traveling to RMNP during high season I'd try to avoid weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
398 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rocky mountain NP

You may be right, alli. People confuse Estes Park (the town) with Rocky Mountain National Park quite often. As we know, they are NOT the same thing!

Mentioned in this post
Uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rocky mountain NP

thanks so much for your help guys. I will definitely be there next june having read what you said.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rocky mountain NP

I believe I can safely say that you will not be disappointed :)

There is a lot of information in the Rocky Mountain National Park forum for you to peruse before your trip: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g143048-i3489-Rock…

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: rocky mountain NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16