We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

For Christmas, I would like to get my sister's family a fun weekend. They have 2 boys, ages 4 and 6. They live in Breckenridge. They are always looking for some fun things to do on snowy weekends that maybe don't always involve skiing. I am thinking a fun weekend in Denver. I would like to get them gift certificates to different activities, dinner or a hotel. I was hoping to find a hotel with a fun water park similar to Great Wolf Lodge but it looks like they don't exist anywhere in Colorado. So, then I thought maybe a day at the Children's Museum, a fun dinner and a decent hotel that would be fun for her, her husband and the 2 boys. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

I don't have kids so take my advice accordingly. In Breck the rec center has pretty good water features for the kiddos. I doubt there is a hotel in Denver that could match it. Folks will offer up Casa Bonita's as a "fun"place for dinner but the parents may not enjoy it. Food is aweful...

for diversions look at

http://www.wingsmuseum.org

http://thewildlifeexperience.org

http://www.dmns.org/

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

They go to the Rec Center in Breck all the time. That is why I was kind of thinking Denver area. One spot I saw that looked fun was the Apex Center in Arvada. Not sure if there is anything else around there to do with kids. Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into those.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 17:21
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

<<They go to the Rec Center in Breck all the time.>>

I thought they would. I meant to suggest that they have a better place for water play in winter in Breck than they would in Denver.

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

Other options, Glenwood Springs and the hot springs.

Denver:

Childrens Museum as mentioned

Denver Museum of Natural History

The IMAX at the Denver Museum of Natural History

Denver Nuggets basketball game or other sporting event if that is their thing

Colorado Springs

Broadmoor- might be offseason so rates might be ok. 5 star place.

While have no idea their interests, personally with 2 kids, just nice to have a change of scenery so whatever you choose will be fun.

Personally, in the winter like the warm stuff so Glenwood and the hot springs (really a big pool) might be fun IF the kids really like the water. Sis can get a massage.

or if they have someone that they trust for overnight babysitting, keep them close and have an adult night out

Breck- Hearthstone/Ember/Relish/or Modis & a night at a B&B ala Allaire Timbers.

Matt

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

Glenwood Springs and Colorado Springs both offer great getaways as mentioned. In the winter the hot springs is especially appealing :-)

The Broadmoor has an exceptional Sunday brunch $40 each approx.

Edited: 07 November 2013, 18:00
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

I too like the Glenwood Springs Idea.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

The Butterfly Pavilion is a favorite of my grandkids, so I'd recommend that if you decide on Denver and they haven't been to it. The zoo has a great lighting display during the Christmas season, so that could be on the schedule, too, depending on when they go. Also, how about Little Monkey Bizness, just for kids 6 and younger? Dinosaur Ridge is open year round, too, so that would be something fun if the weather cooperates.

http://denver.monkeybizness.com/

http://www.dinoridge.org/aboutus.html

I was going to suggest Snow Mountain Ranch, which would have lots of activities, but since they live in Breckenridge, going to the city would be a lot of fun for them, I'll bet.

Glenwood Springs and Colorado Springs would be great options, too.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

I have two teenage boys, but when they were that age they loved the Museum of Natural History and IMAX. They also loved Casa Bonita, and we enjoyed going there just to watch them have fun. Yes, the food is terrible but that is not why you go there. Kids that age really love the place, and my kids have such wonderful memories of going there as young kids. They still love going there just because it brings back those memories.

There is also an indoor skydiving place in Denver. It's a bit more expensive than all of the other suggestions you've gotten, but it would be lots of fun and quite different for them. They can also take pictures and videos of that, so you could "virtually" join in on the fun.

http://skyventurecolorado.com

Edited: 08 November 2013, 02:41
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

I too think if you to Casa Bonita not looking for good food but a unique experience it is worth it.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan a Colorado family weekend

It is now called Denver Museum of Nature & Science (dmns.org); kids will love the dinosaurs, space exhibit and the temporary Mythbusters exhibit!