We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Denver to Phoenix

Pittsburgh
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Denver to Phoenix

I have a question about the drive from Denver to Phoenix. Are the interstates the best way or would you recommend something else? By best, I don't mean the quickest but the most scenic with interesting places to stop and stay.

We've got 3-4 days to make the trip and will be doing this in late July. We're an early '60's couple and after hiking Cape Breton Island the only hiking we're interested in this summer would be something very easy.

We'd like very much to go through Colorado Springs for Pike's Peak. We're interested in your suggestions for both routes and attractions. Thanks everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam Helicopter...
587 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Lake Mead Luxury...
371 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Flight, Colorado...
126 Reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Discover Rocky Mountain National Park...
79 Reviews
from US$129.00*
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Denver to Phoenix

You may want to post this in the Road Trips forum as well: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Denver to Phoenix

This is an excellent question for the Road Trip forum since you will be going through several states. You could go through more of CO, more of UT, some of NM - all have their own beauty and special places. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

By saying you want to include Pikes Peak that will probably direct your travel more to the south and you will miss some of the I-70 attractions.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Denver to Phoenix

There are several different scenic routes. Since you know you want to include Colorado Springs, you would head there first. Then, either go through Woodland Park or to Penrose>Canon City>Salida. Then drive through Gunnison toward Montrose, stopping to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park South Rim Drive just east of Montrose. Overnight Ouray or Telluride. If you had an extra day, you could spend it here, seeing the mountains and maybe taking a jeep tour...the wildflowers should be spectacular at that time) Next stop would be Mesa Verde National Park (overnight in the park if you can for the best use of time--seeing what you can that evening, then spend the next morning there. Next stop might be either Monument Valley or Sedona.

Edited: 17 January 2014, 16:51
Mentioned in this post
Penrose
Penrose
Colorado
Canon City
Canon City
Colorado
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Gunnison
Gunnison
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
4. Re: Driving from Denver to Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19