We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Powder Days

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Powder Days

Woo Hoo!!! The whole state just got creamed. 2 day totals over 2 ft at most ski areas!! Get out and play.

Can you say powder!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Powder Days

Crested Butte is at 22" already and it's still coming down. Beyond quantity, it's high moisture snow, the kind of stuff that fills in all those nooks and crannies and tends to stick around.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,512 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Powder Days

Just keep the highway open till I get to Vail today!!!!!!!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,309 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Powder Days

Even little ol" Eldora got 2 FEET in the past 36 hours! On my way! :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Powder Days

That's good news Smushie that there's an advantage to this heavy snow. Heavy to shovel (& shovel & shovel) & it was a bit challenging yesterday to ski at least for little old me LOL. But we are loving it! Reminds me of living in Steamboat in the olden days when we had those 4-wire winters & could backcountry ski over the top wire. Still snowing.....

Edited: 31 January 2014, 15:42
Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Powder Days

Denali, the difficulty intermediate skiers typically have in deep, heavy powder is finding that good center balance. Instead, they dig their heels in and lean into the mountain when they turn and wind up in the back seat fighting to get their skis from edge to edge. If you play around a little with your fore-aft stance entering and exiting turns you'll discover that, when you're neutral on your skis, it becomes effortless.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Powder Days

Sheesh, these days with rocker tip ski's, you just stand over the balls of your feet and rip away with no worries of burying the tips. Anyway... it sure seems to equalize the wind blown effected snow and heavier dense snow. This equipment sure seems to have made a lot more '"so called" advanced skiers without paying their dues. Good for the ski economy I guess.

Yes denalicat, there are some days when you get the "kind" hero snow where you can do no wrong. This was not quite hero snow. But it's all good. This morning's was not as wind blown as yesterdays. Much nicer consistency today. It helps when you get to ski it daily.

Just happy to see that this storm is spreading the love to all the areas in Colorado.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 20:51
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Powder Days

Wow!! After a week and a half of cold mornings and sunshine (Mid January), the snow hit Colorado with a vengeance. Every ski resort got pummeled. Snow bases have risen nicely. I can safely say you can choose any resort (north or south) and ski 100% of the terrain.

People, Choose an area and get out and play in the powder! Conditions couldn't be better.

Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Powder Days

Most resorts got roughly 2.5 feet out of this storm cycle. Yesterday was like riding in a world nerf. Not only does this high moisture stuff make for good landings, but it feels like it springs back at you like a trampoline. Makes it hard to tell the difference between being on the snow and in the air. Heading back out for first chair again. Weeeee!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,400 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Powder Days

Could you send some our way? Ski Santa Fe hasn't seen snow in awhile! Hope you all are enjoying!

Edited: 02 February 2014, 18:48
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Powder Days

TOAST- The definition of one's legs after skiing powder 4 consecutive days.

Hope everyone got some!!