We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

minnesota
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to stay near Sand Dune National Park in Colorado? Is Alamosa the closest and can anyone recommend lodging there?

Thanks, looking forward to your replies.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,309 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

Great Sand Dunes Lodge is just outside the park.

There is lodging information on the park website: www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

There are many options in Alamosa, but I can't recommend any place in particular.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

There's a motel just outside the park, the Great Sand Dunes Lodge. I haven't stayed there but from what I've read the accommodations are clean and comfortable and they got a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence in 2012 and 2013. There's a restaurant there, which is a good thing since it wouldn't be very convenient to drive to town to eat. Or, they do have gas grills available on the patio and refrigerators in the rooms if you want to picnic or cook out. They have a heated indoor pool, too. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60841-d320935-…

http://www.gsdlodge.com/rooms.htm

The park website has a good list of lodging.

www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/lodging.htm

Alamosa is the nearest town of any size and is where many if not most visitors stay. I have stayed there a few times but it has been quite a while, so if I were visiting I would check out the reviews on Trip Advisor, generally looking at and giving more weight to fairly recent reviews from people who have several reviews and posts. Just from what I recall, I'd be considering any of the top 5 or 6. Or even the Valley Motel, if you don't need a pool and prefer a mom and pop type budget place.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29129-Alamosa_Colora…

Edited: 09 February 2014, 22:29
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

lol, I see Babalax and I were on the same wavelength.

4. Re: Lodging for Sand Dune National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:18