We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for getting the best information to your posts

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
tips for getting the best information to your posts

Hi to all regular posters and to those who come here for trip advice!

I thought it would be a good idea to give posters some idea of what to include in their posts to get the most responses and the most helpful input! I think it would be cool if we all add on to it to keep it running for new posters, etc.

here are some of my ideas:

1) state who you are travelling with (e.g. Significant other, children and ages, single, with elderly parents, etc.).

2) When asking for intinerary advice state when you are travelling dates (including times/dates when you fly in/out), restrictions (i.e. have to make a stop in Glenwood springs for two nights to visit relatives).

3) What you like to do (e.g. love/hate hiking, shopping, museums, etc.)

4) Any budget restrictions

5) And if and when you get good advice post a trip report so we can all know what you did! :)

those are some for starters any other ideas?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

Good idea Izziblizzy!

6. Location of arrival, Location of departure

7. Fear of hights/mountainroads/altitude sickness

8. A tiny: "Thank you" after a reply.

9. 2wd or 4wd. Like or not like driving dirt roads.

10. Lodging or camping

11. Staying in or outside a National Park

12. Flying or driving (we're coming from Baltimore and want to visit Yellowstone........)

More idea's?

Tet

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

good additions tet!

thanks!

Springfield, MO
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

13. "Reasonably priced" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Give me a dollar figure and I can help you.

14. Tell us how many hours a day you are willing to drive. If you want to see the whole state in 4 days, you're going to have to spend more than 4 hours a day in the car.

15. Never ask "Is x worth it?" I don't know if it will be worth it to you. Even though I hate it, you might love it. Ask more specific questions and you will get more specific answers.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

good points. thanks for the input.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

Along the lines of what beckers said, there's a recent post today asking what's "better," Vail or Aspen, without any other criteria! On another travel board, there was a question that only stated, "where should I go and what should I do with my children and be specific because they're picky!" LOL. I also cringe at questions that essentially say, "I want to go to Colorado, and you should plan my itinerary!" I usually just click back to the board without replying.

I'm also going to make a comment regarding some recent reviews of Colorado mountain lodging that have appeared lately. A number of nice hotels have been absolutely trashed because of their lack of air conditioning. One reviewer was appalled that they weren't informed ahead of time of the absence of this amenity. OK, Flatlanders, here's the word: AC is not a given in the mountains because it's only necessary for a few nights a year. I'm really sorry if your trip coincided with the one annual heatwave they experience, but on the other 360 days a year, it's not needed, so it was not installed, particularly in older structures. If it's something absolutely essential to you, please inquire ahead of time if you're travelling here in July or August. There, I just had to get that off my chest!

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

My suggestion would be before you post your question, skim through previously discussed topics on the board for your choice of destination.

Especially in relatively small destinations like Aspen or Vail, you'll probably find it very easy to review these first in just a few minutes and see if your question has been discussed already. It might also help you be able to ask more specific questions, too, or even give you new ideas.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

And thank you so much, Shaken Bake, for bringing up the air conditioning topic. Well put!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
875 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

In a perfect world, posters will give lots and lots of details. But lots of new people just don't even know how to begin posting their question, or what they don't even know yet.

I just hope this forum stays and helpful and friendly as it is. I've seen so many other boards and forums deteriorate when regulars get nasty with newbys. I really commend the Colorado posters for avoiding this trap!

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

oh, i agree cavaletta!!

it is more helpful to give tips on what to post, rather than telling people what not to post.

i hope everyone keeps this thread in that spirit. I intended it as a helpful post for new posters.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips for getting the best information to your posts

Wow, this thread turns into a real memorable one! Great contributions folks! Put it on top again.

For hotelreviews: I always distrust 1* or 5***** recommendations and quotes like: "Unfriendly staff" .I've been in many hundreds of hotels and can count unfriendly staffs on one hand.

Tet{:o)-