We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing a destination

upstate NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing a destination

Our family of four (kids are boy/girl twins, age 14) will be in Colorado from very late at night 4/3 - 4/14. Our son is competing in the Junior Olympics in Colorado Springs so we already have a rental property secured there from 4/7 - 4/14. We are trying to decide on a destination for our first few days before we head to Colorado Springs. We will arrive at DIA very late at night on 4/3 (or possibly very early a.m on 4/4 depending on travel delays) and by the time we get our luggage and rental car we are figuring our best bet would just be to grab a VERY cheap hotel in the Denver area. So that leaves us with the nights of 4/4, 4/5 and 4/6. We were thinking possibly Boulder or maybe Estes Park. Wherever we end up, we will need a rental with a kitchen since our son has food allergies that make restaurant dining more difficult than it's worth (although we would like to find a restaurant or two that can accommodate us so we're not having to cook every single meal while on vacation).

Boulder vacation rentals are a bit pricier than we would like (trying to keep it to $140 or less per night if at all possible for a 2 or 3 BR / 1.5 or 2 BA property). We are open to driving a bit since we'll have a car, and since we're not all that familiar with the area we're open to any and all suggestions. We are not interested in snow activities, but would be interested in learning about the history of the area, art, museums, science, nice shops and that sort of thing.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks very much!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing a destination

Maya44 did you read the replies to your earlier post? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33388-i253-k72113…

upstate NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing a destination

Yes, Babalax, thank you. Just wondering now that we have our dates in Colorado Springs set for sure whether we should consider anything aside from Boulder and Estes Park. Those were the suggestions I received from the few who responded to my post on the Denver forum. I just wondered whether I might receive more responses/suggestions if I posted in the general Colorado forum. I'm curious as to whether folks would suggest Breckendridge or other areas for us.

Thanks!

upstate NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing a destination

I should also add that specific suggestions for cottages/condos/rental homes would also be greatly appreciated. Some of the posts I've read suggest Estes Park can be very touristy. Would we be better off in Boulder then? We do have the opportunity to just add those first few days on to our rental in Colorado Springs, but we thought spending a few days in another area might break it up a bit and make it more interesting for the kids.

Thanks again.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing a destination

Since Estes Park is the town adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park and RMNP gets over 3 million visitors in a year, Estes Park does get very busy with tourists during the peak summer season. This is NOT the case in April. As I explained on your other thread, April is a great time to visit.

Most ski resorts like Breckenridge will still be open through the weekend of April 4, 5 and 6 and later and traffic on I-70 will probably be extremely heavy as folks will be getting in their last trips of the season. Since you are not interested in snow activities, there is no reason for you to go to a ski resort town and get in traffic along I-70.

Estes Park full kitchen 2 bedroom lodging under $140 a night in April -

A basic 2 bedroom cabin at the Estes Park Center of the YMCA of the Rockies starts at $99 a night. This is a resort, not your typical "Y" and they have an indoor heated pool plus other on site activities. The grounds are extensive with great mountain views. Call and ask about special offers. I have seen them have buy 2 nights get one free in the past.

www.ymcarockies.org

Cabins at Amberwood are a bargain ranging in price from $55 to $95. This is a mom and pop type place and they get really good reviews here on TA.

amberwoodestespark.com/AW-CountryCabins.HTML

Blackhawk Lodge cabins winter rates for 4 people start at $125 a night.

www.blackhawkestespark.com/BL-Rates.html

The couple that owns this lovely home in Estes Park rents out the bottom floor 2 bedroom full kitchen apartment. Rate in April for 4 people will be $115 a night.

http://www.maryslakegetaway.com/#rates

Woodlands on Fall River will be under $140 a night with their special offer here on TA which is buy 2 nights and get the 3rd night 50% off. Call and mention the TA offer to get this rate.

http://www.woodlandsestes.com/

There may be others. These are just some I knew. You can also check vrbo, flipkey, etc. as I mentioned on your other post.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
321 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing a destination

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I am checking them all now.

We found our Colorado Springs rental on vrbo, but we're finding the dates at the beginning of our trip are already booked in many of the less expensive rentals in Boulder. Looks like Estes Park may be our better bet.

6. Re: Need help choosing a destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:19