We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Hi everyone, I posted this in the Winter Sport forum but haven't received any responses, so thought I'd try my luck here:

My husband and I are going to New York for NYE, and on our way back to Australia want to stop off somewhere for five nights to ski (me) and snowboard (him).

Since we only have a short amount of time, we want somewhere that's reasonably close to a major airport, to avoid transfer times. We need somewhere with mainly intermediate level runs.

We would prefer an area with a good variety of dining options, including some fine dining choices; and around 4-4.5 star accoommdation (pref ski in/out if possible) with views.

We figure with five nights we'd probably get 3 day lift passes. Would prefer not to have to hire a car to get to/from the airport, but if that's what it comes to, we'll do it.

I had considered Vail because of it's proximity (kind of!) to Denver airport, but looks like Heavenly could be an option too...but I'm open to any suggestions.

Appreciate any opinions/suggestions/comments. Thanks!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,920 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Vail is 2 hours from the Denver airport, but close to the Eagle airport. Breckenridge is a little closer to Denver.

Steamboat Springs is close to the Hayden airport.

Aspen has an airport.

Park City, Utah is only 45 minutes from the Salt Lake City airport.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Breckenridge would suit you, I think, with access by shuttle (Colorado Mountain Express) from the Denver airport. You can find information on ski-in/out lodging suggestions by doing a search on the Breckenridge forum and hotel pages. I have cousins who always go to Park City, so that came to mind, too. And Jackson Hole is always highly rated.

Here's a Forbes article with some recommendations...Match those to the ones with easy access from your location and that should help narrow things down.

forbes.com/sites/…

Where are you going after your ski vacation? Have to look at connections on that end, too, if you look at one of the regional airports.

Vail's got great skiing, lodging, and amenities, but IMO not quite as spectacular scenery from the lodging areas as some.

You may want to check out direct flights from New York (or Newark) to one of the regional airports if you decide on Colorado. One of the most beautiful spots in the country IMO and a very highly rated ski resort is Telluride. (Anyone who's been there agrees...the Forbes writer says, "How is the awesomeness of this place even possible?") There are winter flights direct from Newark to Montrose. You could rent a car but you don't need to, as there are shuttles available for the 1 1/2 hour scenic drive. You do not need a car in Telluride, as the free gondola between town and Mountain Village provides easy access to both areas.

http://coloradoflights.org/

http://www.tellurideskiresort.com/

telluride.com/telluride-winter-recreation-gu…

Aspen's got the gorgeous scenery and amenities you want but I don't see a direct flight from New York. You could make connections in several places, i.e. Chicago, Denver, etc.

aspensnowmass.com/plan-your-vacation/getting…

Have fun planning!

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Park City, in the state of "Utah", would meet your needs best (IMO)

Google it for more info.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Telluride is a beautiful, high end resort with great restaurants and lodging. I would at least check into going there.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Thanks everyone! Park City has been the most recommended over all forums so far, so I'm going to definitely look into that. Telluride has been mentioned quite a bit also, as well as Breckenridge so I'm going to spend the weekend researching all our options!

We are either going to fly straight back to Brisbane (via at least LA obviously) or maybe go back to San Francisco for a night or two to break it up, we haven't quite decided yet.

Thanks again!

Denver, Colorado USA
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

Even tho I live in Colorado and I'd love it if you'd spend your tourist dollars here, I gotta agree that Utah probably meets your needs better. There are several great ski resorts within 30-45 minutes of the Salt Lake City airport. And SLC is a major hub for Delta airlines so there are many flights in and out from all over the USA.

Stay in Park City and ski Park City and The Canyons. You can get to Park City from SLC airport via taxi for about $80. There are also numerous shuttles for less money.

And since Park City is where the Sundance Film Festival is located (it won't be going on when you're there tho) there are lots of restaurants from high end to low brow.

Edited: 05 March 2014, 18:03
7. Re: Which North American ski resort in Jan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:28