We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip MO to Denver

Ozark, Missouri...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip MO to Denver

We're planning a road trip in early July with our then 10 month old. Our final destination will be Denver for a conference, but we're looking at where to go in the first 1/2 of the week. We want to at least see the Grand Canyon, not sure which direction to take or where to go exactly. Also, I know it's July and this may seem like a silly question, but are there still locations that time of year for skiing? Any advice is appreciated!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

Hi Amber and welcome to the Colorado forum.

You may want to post your questions in the Road Trips forum for answers on destinations outside of Colorado: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Skiing in July is normally not an option. There have been good snow years when Arapahoe Basin ski area has tried to stay open until July 4. But there is only a run or two open, and it's mostly slush.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 19:53
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

IMO the Grand Canyon is a too far for a half a week's trip, especially with a 10 month old. Have you taken long road trips with the baby before?

My kids travel here with their little one. They used to make it all the way from MO to the Western side of Colorado in one long day, but with their little one it is an overnight trip and sometimes they take 2 nights. We do the same when we travel that direction, and we're not driving with little ones. Then it would be another full day from here if they were to try to go to the Grand Canyon. Might I suggest...no, encourage!...you to spend your 1/2 week in Colorado's mountains? It would be a lovely respite from your summer heat and humidity. Postpone your trip to the Grand Canyon when you have at least a full week if you're driving.

How far do you think you'll drive your first day?

I'd suggest this route: Ozark to Wichita to Pueblo to Canon City to Salida. Then to Montrose, where you can see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. It isn't the Grand Canyon, but it has an awesome combination of deepness and narrowness, with easy walks to overlooks and a drive to the bottom to see the river and the canyon walls up close. The highest cliff in Colorado is found here, and the Empire State Building could fit easily. From Montrose you could spend a night in Ouray to enjoy the mountains, then you'd have to head back toward Denver. Drive to Glenwood Springs, then through Glenwood Canyon and along Interstate 70 back to Denver, perhaps the prettiest section of Interstate in the country. Or, if you have the time, drive to Aspen and over Independence Pass to Twin Lakes and then back to Denver.

What day are you leaving and what day does your conference start? You may not realistically even have time to get to the Black Canyon. After you look at the drive times, you might decide that Salida, Buena Vista, Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, or Twin Lakes would be a good destination to spend a couple of days, then back to Denver. Another shorter loop would be to go to Grand Lake, then over Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, then spend a day or two in Estes Park before returning to Denver.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

Amber, I asked some of the same questions and duplicated some of Missp's info on my reply to you on the Road Trips forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k72609…

Ozark, Missouri...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

You are awesome! Thank you!!

We may very well end up flying and renting a car once we get there, just depends how much more complicated that would be considering we'd have to pack a carseat/stroller/etc and bag check it all

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

Well, it would help if I gave the correct link to your thread on the Road Trips forum.

tripadvisor.com/…56596387

If you are going to be flying in and out of DIA, you could rent some of the baby equipment you need for your trip. I know of one place in Boulder - Z Baby Gear. There are probably others.

http://www.zbabygear.com/

In Estes Park, both Warming House and Estes Park Mountain Shop rent hiking carriers for hiking with your baby in Rocky Mountain National Park.

6. Re: Road Trip MO to Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 07:23