We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

According to news reports, construction is scheduled to begin this week on the westbound tunnel project (the twin tunnels before Idaho Springs).

www.coloradodot.info/projects/i70twintunnels

The Westbound I-70 Twin Tunnels project will widen the westbound bore of the tunnel in Idaho Springs to about 53-feet. This will accommodate a third lane along westbound I-70 when the highway is eventually widened. Unlike the recent work done along eastbound I-70 to add a third highway lane from Idaho Springs to the bottom of Floyd Hill, this project will only widen the tunnel to accommodate a future third lane. It does not include expanding westbound I-70 to three lanes at this time.

Traffic Impacts

In March, eastbound I-70 will be reduced to two lanes of travel so crews can put down temporary pavement in the center median area on both sides of the tunnel to shift westbound traffic into the eastbound lanes.

In mid to late March there will be minor blasting activity that will require stopping traffic in both directions for about 15 minutes.

In late March there will be rock scaling work done to remove large rocks from the mountain face above the highway. This work will require stopping traffic in both directions for up to 30 minutes.

In April, eastbound I-70 traffic will move back onto the detour route around the tunnel and westbound traffic will start moving through the eastbound tunnel.

Check cotrip.org for info on delays, closures, etc.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Posted today on Facebook:

Colorado Department of Transportation

Traveling the I-70 mountain corridor? Off-peak lane closures of the eastbound third lane to near the twin tunnel will begin soon as work kicks off for the westbound Twin Tunnels project. Prep work in the westbound tunnel bore will require putting I-70 traffic in a head-to-head configuration through the eastbound tunnel for overnight work several nights in March and will maintain two eastbound lanes and one westbound lane. There will be several small blasting closures in this area in March as well which will require stopping traffic in both directions for about 15 minutes. Rock scaling work will require 30 minute traffic stops for both directions. For more information please visit www.coloradodot.info/projects/i70twintunnels. For up to date traffic information please visit www.cotrip.org, call 511 or download our mobile app.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Thanks for the update. We'll have to travel that way in late March and I might not have thought to look at the construction schedule. Hmmm, maybe we'll go the Hwy 50/285 route.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Update from today March 13:

Work on the Westbound Twin Tunnel bore is underway! Lane closures during non peak times will be implemented almost daily. Motorists traveling this corridor are encouraged to visit coloradodot.info/travel/scheduled-lane-closu… for a list of all scheduled lane closures. Heads up for today, the left and center lane of eastbound I-70 will be closed from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Motorists should anticipate delays. Also, at this time the left lane of westbound I-70 is closed until 5 p.m. around the Twin Tunnels. Tonight, from 6 p.m. through 7 a.m. the westbound tunnel will be closed and head to head traffic will be implemented through the eastbound tunnel. CDOT is taking care to implement closures during non peak travel times to minimize delays with this project.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

If anyone has travelled this, could you please post what you experienced the increased travel time to be. Thanks.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Increased travel time very much depends on time of day and day of week. This is the 2nd phase of the project. The eastbound tunnel was completed last December.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Lane Closures for Wednesday, March 19:

7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Double lane closures EB between Idaho Springs (241) and the tunnel

9 a.m. Full EB and WB closure for 30 minutes for rock scaling

11 a.m. Full EB and WB closure for 30 minutes for rock scaling

12 p.m. to 7 p.m. Right lane closure WB through tunnel

7 p.m. to 7 a.m. WB tunnel closed and head-to-head traffic in EB tunnel

This schedule is weather dependent and is subject to change. For updated information, call 303-327-4034 or log onto www.coloradodot.info/projects/i70twintunnels.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Colorado Department of Transportation:

Folks can get more info on the Westbound Twin Tunnels project including upcoming lane closures by signing up for email notifications (www.coloradodot.info and click on the green cell phone icon at the top of the page). Notifications are sent out prior to every scheduled lane closure and also for emergency closures. Motorists can also call 511 for statewide updates, view the weekly lane closure report at the CDOT website, coloradodot.info/travel/… or download the CDOT Mobile app for up to date information on travel times along this corridor.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

CDOT post today 3/22:

This coming week daily lane closures will be in place every day except Saturday. Motorists should expect delays and plan their trips accordingly.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Update for this week:

Full closures of BOTH directions of I-70 at the Twin Tunnels will be in effect this week.

Wednesday morning at 11 a.m. and Friday morning at 11 a.m. These closures will last approximately 30 minutes and will be in place so that crews can perform blasting operations near the East Portal of the tunnels for box culvert expansion. All closures during the month of March for this project are in place during off-peak times but motorists should anticipate longer than normal travel times when closures are in place.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels construction update

Beginning Tuesday, April 1, the Twin Tunnels detour will be put in place.

Crews are working hard to prepare the detour in order to switch traffic on time. Eastbound traffic will be shifted back onto the detour that was in place for the Eastbound Twin Tunnels Project, westbound traffic will be shifted into the eastbound tunnel. Weather permitting, crews will be working to pave that detour this weekend as the project moves forward at top speed.

More info, including daily lane closures: www.coloradodot.info/projects/i70twintunnels