We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

Blanco, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

We're planning a road trip from central TX to the Seattle area - leaving early July, back about mid August. We're 2 adults, 1 teen, 1 sml dog and a very small popup camper - with air conditioner. We're very flexible regarding our route, though have a few definite NM destinations (Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands), followed by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Even though our daughter camps and enjoys nature, she's a typical teen, so I'd like to include fun activities along our route (such as sledding down White Sands). We're not experienced in whitewater, though a minimum difficulty/great beauty river daytrip is on the agenda as we head north. Any suggestions for teen-appreciated experiences are welcome (and I'll be posting to other state forums as well). No concrete water parks or shopping centers please! Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Grand Canyon North Rim
Grand Canyon North Rim
1,902 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,206 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

I see that you have also posted in the other state's forums but you may not be aware that there is a Road Trips forum also: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Our nieces and nephews visit us every summer and have for the past 25 years. Some of the things they have enjoyed: hiking and horseback riding in Rocky Mountain National Park, sledding down the dunes in Great Sand Dunes NP, camping and fishing at Brainard Lake and hiking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, ziplining (we went to the one at Devil's Thumb Ranch), the alpine slides at Winter Park and Breckenridge, visiting the Wild Animal Sanctuary in Keenesburg, concerts at Red Rocks amphitheater, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science... that is just a sampling.

And even though you said "no shopping centers" our nieces and nephews have always enjoyed the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder. It is a pedestrian mall with interesting stores that the kids revisit year after year. There are many restaurants and there are always street performers in the summer. It's a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:22
Mentioned in this post
Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
Devil's Thumb Ranch...
682 Reviews
Tabernash, CO
Wild Animal Sanctuary
Wild Animal Sanctuary
541 Reviews
Keenesburg, CO
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Denver Museum of Nature...
3,482 Reviews
Denver, CO
Pearl Street Mall
Pearl Street Mall
2,254 Reviews
Boulder, CO
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Blanco, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

Thanks so much. Your suggestions are very helpful, and I definitely think we'll be enjoying a few of the activities you mentioned. Also thanks for letting me know about the roadtrip forum!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,206 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

You are welcome! Sure sounds like a great trip. I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions for things to do along the way.

We are planning a rafting trip with our 16 year old nephew this summer. Thought I'd pass along some of the sites that I am researching:

colorado.com/articles/complete-guide-whitewa…

http://whitewater.net/

http://www.coloradorafting.net/

http://www.coloradowhitewaterrafting.com/

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,206 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

I had this thought last night... whether you plan to slide on the dunes at White Sands or Great Sand Dunes it will be HOT in July. You will want to get out there first thing in the morning when the sun is not beating down on you and the sand isn't too hot. We went to Great Sand Dunes the 3rd week of June and it was getting hot even in the morning. Also, don't use a round plastic saucer - they don't work. Here are tips from the GSDNP website: nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/sandboarding-skii…

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Roadtrip highlights for a young teen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:17