We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

A friend and I (both mid 20) want to rent an RV and travel Colorado for 7 days in the end of May till beginning of June. We're both active and looking to hike, kayak etc.

It will be my first time driving an RV. I did drive an APC (almost the size of tanks) in the army and I'm a pretty good driver. I was reading that the Million Dollar Highway might still be difficult for first time drivers?

Does anyone have recommendations for an itinerary? I'm reading about many amazing places, but I have a hard time, figuring out which places to combine and how much time to plan for each...

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Include Estes Park/RMNP.

Other points/places of interest would be SW CO and Mesa Verde, maybe the Sand Dunes, it depends on how much driving time you want to spend given the 7 days.

Some notable towns include Crested Butte and Glenwood Springs for stuff to do, beauty, dining, etc. Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs and Woodland Park is full of much to do in one general area (cuts down on driving and you still get to enjoy a 14-er with Pikes Peak) and see including the Garden of the Gods and the Pikes Peak Cog Railway: http://www.cograilway.com/

www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1

www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com Gunnison is also a neat town

http://www.visitglenwood.com/ Hanging Lake Trail, Glenwood Caverns/tram/adventure Park, Hot Springs Pool, etc.

I'm sure others will weigh in with great itineraries and suggestions.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 19:15
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Hi LeonTLV. I am curious to know why a RV? They are a costly way to travel, especially if you are looking to utilize campgrounds with hookups. Just asking in case you thought it would be a more economical way to go?

With your driving experience I think you'd be very qualified to drive one. Beside seeing "amazing places" we have tons, what else interest you, what are you hoping to do? Off the grid or close to some type of bars/restaurants?

I'd suggest you start at a couple of sites to see what is available in our great state. Then ask for specifics. It would be helpful to know your budget too.

http://www.nowthisiscolorado.com/ at that time of year I'd certainly plan some time on the Arkansas River.

http://www.colorado.com/

http://summitnet.com/summer/

Edited: 16 April 2014, 20:02
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Thank you hatchpal4u, Ill check out the different places.

alli, I thought RVs would be a great way to explore the national parks (we're mostly looking to do outdoor activities in nature), but now I see that there are plenty of hotels. Sorry Im really a complete newbie when it comes to parks in the US.

We're not into camping with a tent, so traveling with an RV seemed convenient, but renting a normal car and just using hotels is cheaper? What are the disadvantages?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,003 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

RV travel is expensive because you have to pay for the gasoline (they get very poor gas mileage), the campground fees, the rentals of not only the RV but all of the stuff you would use inside (like towels, sheets, pans, plates, etc.) separately from the rental of the RV itself. You also have to be willing to forgo seeing some sights because your RV won't fit into the parking area. And worst of all, you have to spend hours before your trip even starts learning how to pump out the holding tanks (grey water and black). RVs are rented with the assumption you won't be driving over 100 miles per day so you get a surcharge for anything over that. If you stay somewhere you have to use the generator because there are no electric hookups then you must pay extra for running the generator. (And some campgrounds forbid generators or restrict their use to certain hours.) Then you have to clean it before you return it so you get your deposit back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJxcWxveJI

Stay in hotels, there are plenty and you won't have to worry about it.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

The other disadvantage to RVs, especially if you are exploring national parks and scenic byways is that parking spaces can be difficult to find. And then if you are staying at a campground with hookups, what do you do once you pull in, get hooked up, and then want to go hiking or you forgot to get something essential for dinner or breakfast? You've got to unhook and drive to your trailhead or to town....Don't get me wrong, I like camper and RV camping, but they are unwieldy for exploring, parking, and driving on winding mountain roads. That's why you'll see so many owners towing a small vehicle behind.

If you were going to get the RV then park it in a campground at Rocky Mountain National Park for a week, or maybe two stops, then yes. But not for traveling around.

Do you know if you are flying in to Denver or can you make connections to a smaller airport? Is the 7 days including the day of arrival and day of departure so that you have 5 full days to travel? Or do you have 7 full days to travel plus your arrival and departure day?

If you can narrow down which parks and points of interest are "musts" for you, then it will be easier to help with an itinerary that includes them. For example if Mesa Verde National Park is a must, then you should focus your time on Southwest Colorado. But if you are flying in to Denver, with 7 days total, and wanting to do some hiking and other activities, I think you might be happier with keeping your stops closer to your point of arrival/departure.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
30 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Thank you all, you saved me some money and definitely some headaches. You're right, a regular car is a much better alternative then.

Should I pay the extra money (only like $10 more per day) and get a four wheel drive SUV?

We have 7 full days for traveling (plus 3 days for Denver). We want to be mostly out in the nature, do hikes and other outdoor activities.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

Unless you just want an SUV for the comfort, larger windows, etc. II would consider renting a small to midsize sedan, whatever you're comfortable driving that will hold your luggage, and then use your savings on the car rental fee and gas to rent a jeep or ATVs for a couple of days in the mountains if the jeep trails are open by then...maybe more toward the end of your trip. Even 4 wheel drive SUVs rented from a regular dealership are not going to allow off-pavement use. See the Top Question to the above right about "what kind of rental car do I need..." It' been a heavy snow year in many areas, so some of the higher trails and jeep roads may not be open yet....depends on temperatures and rainfall, etc. the next few weeks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

I think renting a car is a better bet for you. There are many inexpensive motels in many areas. Also many RV Parks (www.koa.com is one found all over) have camping cabins, which are fairly inexpensive. These have beds, electricity but you do have to use the central restroom. Some state parks in Colorado rent cabins as well as yurts (Mongolian tents) which also have beds, electricity and some even have bathrooms. This will give you the back to nature feel, just not sleeping on the ground in a tent!!!

You won't be able to see all of thes, but do check some of these places as options. Rocky Mtn Nat Park, Summit County (Frisco, Dillon, Breckenridge), Leadville, Aspen and Maroon Bells, Salida/Buena Vista, Great Sand Dunes Nat Park, Gunnison/Crested Butte, Black Canyon of the Gunnison Nat Park, Ouray, Telluride, Durango, Mesa Verde Nat Park,

9. Re: Best itinerary for 7 day RV trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 05:15