We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

I'm taking a road trip with my mother and 2 children (ages 6 and 9) from Oregon to Colorado Springs and back. Our plan is to stay the first night near Salt Lake City, head to Dinosaur national monument, then to Colorado Springs to visit family for a couple of days. Then, I thought we would take the south route through Mesa Verde, Arches, and Canyonlands National Parks, then stay in Idaho Falls before coming back to Oregon. A total of 8 days. I've never been to any of these places so I would love suggestions of must see places, even pit stops to break up the drives would be great (no hikes greater than two miles). Also, suggestions for kids friendly or "fun" hotels in Colorado Springs or along the route would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Cindy.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

You may not be aware that there is a road trips forum which is the perfect forum for your post: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

Thank you! I will post in there.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

You are welcome. Certainly post any specific Colorado questions here. You may also want to post this "suggestions for kids friendly or "fun" hotels in Colorado Springs" in the Colorado Springs forum so that others will see it. Happy trip planning!

Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

Thank you! I will post in there.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

You're going to cover lots of miles! You said 8 days...will that give you 7 nights on the road?

How much time were you planning at Dinosaur Natl Monument? I think it will be too far a drive to plan on a stop there and then a drive on to Colorado Springs...had you thought about where to stop? Craig or Steamboat Springs would be doable. Then 2 nights at Colorado Springs, a quick stop at the Great Sand Dunes then a night in Durango (if you could add a day, I'd do it here and take the kids on the Durango-Silverton train...maybe one of the combination tours with a horseback ride or a jeep tour into the mountains to a ghost town), a day at Mesa Verde with an overnight at Cortez, a day/night at Moab...oops, we're at 7 nights already and only as far as Moab!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

I'm going to post the link to your question on the Road Trip forum so your post can be easily cross referenced. It sounds like most of your trip will concentrate on Colorado, with a couple of long days driving here and back home. And I see you are thinking of adding a few days so that you have a little more time for activities instead of so much mileage every day. That's good, especially with kids!

tripadvisor.com/…57876083

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

fun lodging with family in Colorado Springs--Drury Inn Pikes Peak--food/snacks/drinks throughout the day, great value and saves on some dining! I loved the recliners in the room, and the kids loved the in/out pool, half indoors, and half outdoors.

Also great across the street is The Academy Hotel--free cookies and chilled water with fruit. The pool is great and the free breakfast is unlike any other with the chef cooking up omelets to order.

We loved both locations and found affordable rates at both. They're close to shopping and dining. By the Academy Hotel is Goodwill and by Drury there's the Cracker Barrel and Famous Dave's, nice chains to dine at with the family and right out your door so no need to drive.

Colorado Springs activities (Manitou area, too): Pikes Peak Cog Railway, Helen Hunt Falls (Seven Falls still closed), Starsmore Discovery Center near the falls, Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo (very unique location, great zoo) and Will Rogers Shrine to the Sun, America the Beautiful Park, Fargo's for Pizza, Garden of the Gods, Focus on the Family to release some energy in the play area there (Christian organization)...nearby Woodland Park is a gorgeous mountain feel with the Dinosaur Resource Center, there's the Wolf Center in Divide, Florissant Fossil Beds and Mollie Kathleen Mine in Cripple Creek.

8. Re: Round trip road trip from Oregon to Colorado Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15