We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

We will be driving through the area the first week of June and considered stopping by the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Can anyone provide more details of what I might expect trying to take a four year old in early June? The research I have done makes me think I need to consider alternate attractions in the area.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

I'm not sure what research would lead you to consider alternate attractions. Kids love the Great Sand Dunes, and Medano Creek should be flowing at the time of your visit. It is a shallow,seasonal creek that spreads out over the base of the dunes, predicted this year to be only a couple of inches deep. This will be perfect for little ones to splash and play in the wet sand The park website does warn that mosquitos will emerge in June, but you can play out in the open away from trees and foliage to avoid the worst of them. If you're just stopping for a couple of hours, there are outdoor showers available to clean up. An hour in the bright sun should be enough, but you'll have trouble tearing your 4 year old away.

Kids also love the nearby gator farm.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,352 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

The official park website has a special kids section. If you happen to be there for the June 7 activities, that sounds like great fun!

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/forkids/index.htm

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

won't be there for June 7th- closer to the 1st. The thing that made me nervous is he JUST turned 4 (so he is closer to 3). We will be driving from Glenwood Springs so wouldn't make it until afternoon. I was concerned about heat, blowing sand, distance to walk to get to the dunes, etc. I suppose I could give it a try, just nervous is all.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

Well, it could be hot out on the dunes as the sun heats up the sand, but early in June it probably won't be too bad, as daytime highs average 75-80 according to the park website. You probably won't really be out climbing the dunes, anyway. It might or might not be windy....if it is, then you can just return to your car and cut your visit short. When we've visited, there was no wind at the base of the dunes. The parking area isn't far from the dunes...no further than...say...parking at the mall on a Saturday. Kids generally love this giant sandbox, especially when Medano Creek is running, as it should be when you are there. (lol, on the other hand, you might be climbing the dunes...the 3 year olds in my family certainly have plenty of energy for fun things like that!)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

If you find that the weather at the dunes isn't to your liking that day, I can recommend the alligator farm based on the "reviews" of my grandkids who've been there and loved it. If your little one likes critters, he probably would like it, as well.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

Posted on Facebook today:

Medano Creek is flowing at the Dunes Parking Lot. Get detailed current conditions and forecast flow on our Medano Creek page:

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/medano-creek.htm

7. Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park with 4 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17