We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

I need some trip ideas. I am planning to maybe land in Denver end of October. and spend a few days. For this time of year. I know no skiing yet etc. What are good areas to visit in Colorado. One can drive and hike to?

Suggestions thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
358 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour and...
123 reviews
from US$469.99*
US$499.00
Denver Mountain Parks with Optional...
186 reviews
from US$55.00*
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
199 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

This is a tough time to visit Colorado. The fall colors will mostly be gone, no skiing yet, and many of the mountain towns in an off season if you will, with certain things closed including things like scenic gondolas, and certain scenic mountain passes

The front range however can still be quite nice and it's usually dry at this time of year. I would check out Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, and lower areas of Rocky Mountain National Park.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,728 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

Agree Oct is not a great time. You might consider going to the "banana belt" Salida. Salida is warmer than the higher mountain towns. Plenty of hiking and biking. Plus Mt. Princeton Hot Springs no matter the weather.

www.nowthisiscolorado.com/salida-colorado

If you go I'd suggest staying in the historic area not the part by the highway. Simple Lodge is fun if you're traveling solo or with a partner. I have stayed in the private room a few times and have always enjoyed meeting other travelers. The Palace hotel is more high end. Then there is the Woodland Motel.

It is about 3 hours from Denver, pretty drive.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

Nick is correct. Late October into early November is a transitional time in the weather in the mountain areas of Colorado. It is also in between seasons. Many businesses in the ski resort towns close for vacation or use this time to renovate, rehab and restock for the upcoming ski season. That can mean some great deals on lodging and dining for the businesses that remain open.

The east side of Rocky Mountain National Park is known as the dry side. The town of Estes Park is adjacent to the east side of RMNP. You will have a better chance of finding good hiking options in late October on the east side of RMNP than in most other mountain locations. There are over 350 miles of trails in RMNP. The crowds are gone by late October. While famous Trail Ridge Road will probably not be open as a through road between Estes Park and Grand Lake, all other main roads in RMNP will be open. Trail Ridge will be open at least to Many Parks Curve.

www.nps.gov/romo

Horseback riding is available year round from Sombero stables. Offroading in nearby Roosevelt National Forest should also be an option. You can rent with Backbone or book a trip with Rocky Mountain Rush. People enjoy touring the ghostly and historic Stanley Hotel, wine tastings at Snowy Peaks Winery, rock climbing and golfing with the elk (they love the golf courses). RMNP is the best place in Colorado to see wildlife like elk, bighorn sheep, moose and deer.

Lodging rates by late October in Estes Park are often half what they are in summer. You can book a cabin with a hot tub by a river, vacation rental on a mountain, condos in downtown or along rivers or with mountain views, B&B's and of course - hotels. There are MANY vacation rentals on VRBO and Flipkey for Estes Park.

http://www.visitestespark.com/lodging/

Hiking sites for RMNP

protrails.com/area/8/rocky-mountain-national…

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/

Boulder and Estes Park are less than an hour apart. Boulder has lots of great shops and restaurants plus hiking in open spaces and nearby Eldorado Canyon State Park and Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

http://www.bouldercoloradohiking.com/

…state.co.us/placestogo/parks/EldoradoCanyon

…state.co.us/placestogo/…GoldenGateCanyon

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

Sounds great. I think i can spend a few days just in Estes Park, and make that my colorado experience

5. Re: Ideas in Colorado for end of Oct/November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:17