We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations ....

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations ....

Myself and my friend are travelling to colorado for a Ranch holiday in September 2014, my friend looked up the internet and it said we should get vaccinations before we go, we are from Ireland by the way....recomendations were.....Hep B....Rabies, and Tetanus....I did travel, 5 or 6 years ago around the Fort Brag area, and to be honest, I didnt get any vaccinations...just wondering what you think, should I, should'nt I....are they necessary.

Thanks a million...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,860 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations ....

Ask your doctor. Friends and strangers, even if they are doctors, don't know you and your health needs. I've lived in Colorado and surrounding states my entire life and have only had tetanus, which is included in a vaccine with diphtheria and pertussis

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations ....

I have never heard of such a thing. In the states we are told to get a tetanus every 10 years or so.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations ....

The Center for Disease Control says there are currently no vaccinations required for travel to the United States, but it says to seek advice from your country's health service.

Tetanus is normally one of the vaccines routinely administered in the U.S. so if you haven't had that, or haven't had a booster in over 10 years, you might consider that one. Hep B is recommended for health professionals or those at higher risk for exposure to blood and body fluids. We don't normally give rabies vaccine to people, but treatment is available in the unlikely event you should be bitten by a rabid animal. The CDC says we've only had 55 cases since 1990. (Don't feed or touch wildlife while you're here...even if they're cute little chipmunks or prairie dogs. Don't pick up a sick bat. Duh. You'd think that would be obvious, but a co-worker of my husband picked up a bat that was lying on the floor of the garage where he worked. Yep, it bit him through his leather work glove, and it was carrying rabies.)

Here's a link to U.S. recommended vaccine schedule.

cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/a…

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,008 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations ....

I agree with Casa, ask your doctor.

There are no vaccinations required to enter the US.

www.iamat.org/country_profile.cfm…

If you don't get tetanus shots in Ireland that wouldn't be a bad idea I suppose. But rabies? That's odd.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations ....

Due to people electing out of immunizations, mumps and measles outbreaks have made the news in recent months here in the United States. Most recently, people at the Seattle airport were exposed to measles. If you did not have these diseases as a child or did not receive these immunizations, you might want to also discuss this with your physician.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations ....

Thanks a million people....this is fantastic....

7. Re: Vaccinations ....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:16